- Seattle: Best American City for Gay Dads?
- Antarctica: Top 5 Tips For the Ultimate White Party
- Pride Season Is Not Over. Orlando Will Hold One Of The Most Important In LGBTQ History.
- Homos, FOMO and the Enduring Appeal of Paris
- PHOTOS: This Charming Texan Was Just Named America’s Top Bartender
- LGBT New Yorkers Celebrate Pride and Resilience At The Center’s Annual Garden Party
- PHOTOS: Instagram Users Respond To Orlando Tragedy In Beautiful And Creative Ways
- PHOTOS: Tributes From Around The World As Thousands Gather To Mourn Orlando Victims
- PHOTOS: Pride Takes Over Tel Aviv And It’s A Feast For The Eyes
- Meet Ben Ryan, The Nearly Naked AIDS Activist Who Can Dance
- PHOTOS: The Beautiful Boys and Gorgeous Gurls of Vallarta Pride
- PHOTOS: Long Beach Pride Marks The Beginning Of This Year’s Pride Season
- Seven Reasons Every Art Lover Must Visit The New San Francisco Modern Art Museum
- PHOTOS: This Year’s World Naked Gardening Day Was Absolutely Plantastic
- Madonna Lyrics Reimagined As Motivational Posters
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSNew York Las Vegas San Francisco Jeffrey James Keyes Washington DC London pride haus Marriage Equality Chicago Pride Miami Fire Island Los Angeles Theater travel Photos benefit haus party haus GayCities New York City
City Of Pittsburgh Celebrates Sharon Needles Day
Jun 13, 2012
Move over, Andy Warhol: Pittsburgh has a new favorite native homo. RuPaul Drag Race winner Sharon Needles was honored in her hometown with an official proclamation declaring Tuesday “Sharon Needles Day in Pittsburgh.”
The ceremony took place at a City Council meeting, where councilman Patrick Dowd said, “This is a city of champions in many regards… We have a real champion in the room today.”
In her comments, the goth goddess proclaimed that “a win for Sharon Needles is a win for every single kid in this city who’s still being bullied.” She admitted it was “humbling and almost embarrassing” to be recognized by “my favorite city in the world.”
Sharon also graced the audience with a slightly altered version of Rocky Horror‘s “Sweet Transvestite” that included the line, “I’m just a cheap transvestite from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.”
Hmm, maybe Sharon has a new favorite holiday besides Halloween?