- What Is The Gayest ‘Hood In The World? You Decide.
- They Go Low, We Give $$: Ten Great LGBTQ Charities To Support In Desperate Times
- 5 Great Las Vegas Shopping Malls That Won’t Break The Bank (Unless You Want To)
- Here are the winners of two special Best of GayCities, 2016, honors…
- What Is The Gayest City In The World In 2016?
- What Are Your Favorite Travel Mementoes? We Have 4 To Check Out
- Oakland & Silicon Valley: Top Day Trips From San Francisco
- Honeymoon Travel: Top 5 Things To Know When Planning The Big Trip
- 5 Can’t Miss Things To Enjoy In Provincetown
- Puerto Madero is Buenos Aires answer to travelers seeking chic-waterfront neighborhoods
- Destination Weddings: Top 5 Things To Know Before Saying “I Do”
- 5 Things to enjoy in the Palermo District of Buenos Aires
- Rio de Janeiro: Let the Fun and Games Begin!
- Five Things To Know That Will Help You Get The Most Out Of Japan
- Check Out Downtown Las Vegas, Another World Beyond The Strip
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSChicago Fire Island San Francisco Theater Jeffrey James Keyes New York Pride Miami party haus GayCities Marriage Equality Washington DC Los Angeles travel Photos Las Vegas New York City gay travel London pride haus
City Of Pittsburgh Celebrates Sharon Needles Day
Jun 13, 2012
Move over, Andy Warhol: Pittsburgh has a new favorite native homo. RuPaul Drag Race winner Sharon Needles was honored in her hometown with an official proclamation declaring Tuesday “Sharon Needles Day in Pittsburgh.”
The ceremony took place at a City Council meeting, where councilman Patrick Dowd said, “This is a city of champions in many regards… We have a real champion in the room today.”
In her comments, the goth goddess proclaimed that “a win for Sharon Needles is a win for every single kid in this city who’s still being bullied.” She admitted it was “humbling and almost embarrassing” to be recognized by “my favorite city in the world.”
Sharon also graced the audience with a slightly altered version of Rocky Horror‘s “Sweet Transvestite” that included the line, “I’m just a cheap transvestite from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.”
Hmm, maybe Sharon has a new favorite holiday besides Halloween?