- New Orleans is about to be overrun by Jake Shears and other sexy book nerds
- It’s official! LA Pride parade canceled, replaced with protest march
- New Orleans holds a “reverse parade” opposing Trump’s antigay agenda in powerful must-see video
- Winter wonderland: seven hotspots to hit the slopes this winter
- The world’s 12 gayest hot spots to ring in the New Year
- Wanna get away? Hit one of these sultry gay beaches this winter
- 9 ways San Francisco created hippie–then hipster–fashions for the world to enjoy
- PHOTOS: And the winners of the 2016 ‘Best Of GayCities’ awards are…
- PHOTOS: The annual Santa Speedo Run holiday tradition lives on
- What’s the best up-and-coming gay city in the world? You decide.
- What Is The Gayest ‘Hood In The World? You Decide.
- They Go Low, We Give $$: Ten Great LGBTQ Charities To Support In Desperate Times
- 5 Great Las Vegas Shopping Malls That Won’t Break The Bank (Unless You Want To)
- Here are the winners of two special Best of GayCities, 2016, honors…
- What Is The Gayest City In The World In 2016?
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSJeffrey James Keyes pride haus GayCities Chicago Fire Island Los Angeles gay travel party haus New York Theater travel Marriage Equality Pride London Photos Washington DC New York City Miami Las Vegas San Francisco
City Of Pittsburgh Celebrates Sharon Needles Day
Jun 13, 2012
Move over, Andy Warhol: Pittsburgh has a new favorite native homo. RuPaul Drag Race winner Sharon Needles was honored in her hometown with an official proclamation declaring Tuesday “Sharon Needles Day in Pittsburgh.”
The ceremony took place at a City Council meeting, where councilman Patrick Dowd said, “This is a city of champions in many regards… We have a real champion in the room today.”
In her comments, the goth goddess proclaimed that “a win for Sharon Needles is a win for every single kid in this city who’s still being bullied.” She admitted it was “humbling and almost embarrassing” to be recognized by “my favorite city in the world.”
Sharon also graced the audience with a slightly altered version of Rocky Horror‘s “Sweet Transvestite” that included the line, “I’m just a cheap transvestite from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.”
Hmm, maybe Sharon has a new favorite holiday besides Halloween?