- 5 Nightlife Gems You Can Only Find In Portland
- 5 Fascinating Facts About The Country’s Longest Continuously Running Drag Show
- A Black Queer Trans Portlander Reveals A Side Of The City You Won’t See On Portlandia
- Chug-A-Lug Gurl! Gay Beer Turns 25
- 11 Things To Do In San Francisco With Your GBFFs
- In Praise Of Tiny Gay Bars
- Your Favorite Cities And Travel Destinations?: The Winners Are…
- David Bowie Fans Gather For Massive Sing-Along In South London
- Six Classic Works Of Gay Literature Everyone Should Read In The New Year
- Smart & Sexy Locals Tell You Where To Hang Out In Madrid & Barcelona
- Some Like It Hot: The 12 Very Best Party Haus Galleries Of 2015
- Why San Francisco Is The World’s Gay Mecca
- Pedro’s Spain: 8 of Almodóvar’s Most Iconic Film Locations
- The Best Destinations And Gayborhoods Around The World? You Decide!
- 25 Amazing Photographs That’ll Make You Want To Visit Spain
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSWashington DC travel Pride Los Angeles New York City Chicago London GayCities Jeffrey James Keyes Photos New York Fire Island Marriage Equality Theater Las Vegas pride haus Miami party haus benefit haus San Francisco
PHOTOS: San Francisco’s Cockettes Extend Their Legs For Hot Greeks
May 02, 2012
Labeled by John Waters as “the first hip drag queens,” the genre-bending troupe first emerged in the wild world of 1960s SF. But they brought their merry madness to the 21st century with Pearls Over Shanghai in 2009. A collaboration with local theater troupe Thrillpeddlers, Pearls was originally slated to run for six weeks but quickly turned into a two-year stage phenomenon. And the San Francisco theater scene has never been the same.
Continuing in that tradition, Thrillpeddlers recently announced the extension of Hot Greeks, a musical reproduction of the Cockettes’ 1972 show of the same name, at SoMa’s Hypnodrome. Opening back in March, the show blends Greek tragedy with a campy take on frat-film favorite Animal House.
And thanks to a string of sold-out performances, Hot Greeks will drag out until May 19.
Click on through for more photos from Thrillpeddlers’ Hot Greeks