- Drag Theatre Puts The ‘Camp’ In LA’s Fabulous Casita Del Campo
- The Great Gay Invasion Of DTLA Has Begun
- Why Hiking The Southern California Mountains Is Having A Gay Moment
- Lady Gaga Tumbles, Willam Belli Is A Lady At Pump WeHo
- V Wine Room Makes The Classy WeHo Boys (Mis)Behave
- Santa Monica Beach Makes (Watching) Workouts Sexy
- Downtown LA Breathes With New Eats, New Shops, New Life
- L.A.’s Dancing Boys Gather At ‘One Trick Pony’
- The Beautiful Beaches And Boys Of Laguna
- PHOTOS: Leather Daddies Rule The Streets At San Francisco’s Up Your Alley
- You’ll Flip For The Sexy Men’s Swimwear At Miami Beach Fashion Week
- WATCH: Two Cute Guys Ride To Luxury Hotel For A Surprise Challenge
- PHOTOS: Fifteen Things We Love About NYC Pride 2015
- Get Your Marriage On At These Five Perfect San Francisco Places
- Seven Tips To Surviving & Thriving At San Francisco Pride
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSSan Francisco Photos GayCities Theater travel Chicago New York City Jeffrey James Keyes party haus New York Las Vegas Washington DC Fire Island Los Angeles Marriage Equality Miami pride haus London benefit haus Pride
Out on the town: Top Chef Ash Fulk’s New York
Oct 06, 2009
Ash Fulk was kind enough to step out of Bravo’s Top Chef kitchen for a quick interview with GayCities New York Editor, JJ Keyes, and to provide an inside peek at where celebrity cooks like to eat in New York and Las Vegas.
JJK: We love you on Top Chef. You’re making such clever dishes on the show. When did you start cooking?
AF: I started cooking professionally when I was, maybe, 19. Before that I used to have dinner parties for my friends in high school. Some were great–some not so great.
JJK: When did you move to New York City from California?
AF: I moved to New York in 2007. My first week here, I lived at 155 and St Nicks. One night I was coming home and I couldn’t work my key so I had to sleep on the stoop! Luckily I was broke and looked it, so no one robbed me. This city is tough but worth it!
JJK: I totally agree. How long have you been Sous Chef at Trestle on Tenth?
AF: About two years. I really love working with the (head) chef. He has a great “let’s try it” attitude. I’ve learned a ton from him.
JJK: There are so many restaurants in Manhattan. I’m always looking for a few new places to try. What are some of your favorites in the New York?
JJK: Do you know of any good places to go if someone doesn’t want to get a full dinner, but just have something light over a few martinis with a friend?
AF: I love Cassulula, a cute place with great small plates.
JJK: How about if we skip the food and just want some drinks? What are a few of your favorite bars?
JJK: I’m thinking about planning a trip to Las Vegas this year. Where should I stay?
AF: The M resort of course! On the strip, I really like the Bellagio.
JJK: How about Las Vegas bars? Any recommendations?
AF: The Double Down. Off the strip, Dive Biker Bar. Loved it! Oh and the gay bar is across the street…but I forgot its name.
JJK: What is your favorite thing about being on Top Chef?
AF: Meeting all these amazing chefs! They were all so gracious and incredible cooks.
JJK: Is there anyone you have become especially close to?
AF: I would say that I became closest with Ashley. She is hilarious!