- Ten Things You Should Know About Gay Bars From A Castro Bartender
- Meanwhile in London… 12 UK Gay Scene DJs You Should Get To Know
- PHOTOS: Gays in the Military Exhibition
- A Deep Dive Into Identities Of Queer Teens
- Interview: Jackie Beat On The Facebook Drag War, Safe Sex & San Francisco
- PHOTOS: Vampire Dandies and Alien Princesses Take the Stage at Bowieball 2014
- PHOTOS: Sin Is In At This Year’s Hustlaball
- Trick And Treat At The Ultimate Halloween Party
- PHOTOS: Brent Corrigan And Friends Star At Austin’s LGBT Film Fest
- 8 Great Reads To Scratch Your Literary Itch This Fall
- 5 Reasons The Death Of Gayborhoods Is Highly Exaggerated
- Mark Your Calendars, New Yorkers
- Twinks Rule In These 10 Cities Around The World
- PHOTOS: Mile High Immersive Dinner Theater Lands In NYC’s Lower East Side
- What’s The Stoli Guy Winner Going To Do With The $10,000 Prize?
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSLondon San Francisco Fire Island Jeffrey James Keyes Pride Miami Marriage Equality Los Angeles Las Vegas travel Washington DC Photos New York pride haus New York City Theater GayCities Chicago gay travel party haus
Out on the town: Top Chef Ash Fulk’s New York
Oct 06, 2009 by Chris Bull
Ash Fulk was kind enough to step out of Bravo’s Top Chef kitchen for a quick interview with GayCities New York Editor, JJ Keyes, and to provide an inside peek at where celebrity cooks like to eat in New York and Las Vegas.
JJK: We love you on Top Chef. You’re making such clever dishes on the show. When did you start cooking?
AF: I started cooking professionally when I was, maybe, 19. Before that I used to have dinner parties for my friends in high school. Some were great–some not so great.
JJK: When did you move to New York City from California?
AF: I moved to New York in 2007. My first week here, I lived at 155 and St Nicks. One night I was coming home and I couldn’t work my key so I had to sleep on the stoop! Luckily I was broke and looked it, so no one robbed me. This city is tough but worth it!
JJK: I totally agree. How long have you been Sous Chef at Trestle on Tenth?
AF: About two years. I really love working with the (head) chef. He has a great “let’s try it” attitude. I’ve learned a ton from him.
JJK: There are so many restaurants in Manhattan. I’m always looking for a few new places to try. What are some of your favorites in the New York?
JJK: Do you know of any good places to go if someone doesn’t want to get a full dinner, but just have something light over a few martinis with a friend?
AF: I love Cassulula, a cute place with great small plates.
JJK: How about if we skip the food and just want some drinks? What are a few of your favorite bars?
JJK: I’m thinking about planning a trip to Las Vegas this year. Where should I stay?
AF: The M resort of course! On the strip, I really like the Bellagio.
JJK: How about Las Vegas bars? Any recommendations?
AF: The Double Down. Off the strip, Dive Biker Bar. Loved it! Oh and the gay bar is across the street…but I forgot its name.
JJK: What is your favorite thing about being on Top Chef?
AF: Meeting all these amazing chefs! They were all so gracious and incredible cooks.
JJK: Is there anyone you have become especially close to?
AF: I would say that I became closest with Ashley. She is hilarious!