- PHOTOS: Looking’s Frankie Alvarez Helps Raise Funds For LGBT Elders
- 11 Incredible Out Adventures To Experience Before You Die
- French Politicians Are Freaked Over Tabloid Outing Of Gay VP
- The Golden Girls Xmas Drag Show Is All Sorts Of Holiday Magic
- Vote For The 2014 Best Of GayCities And Win A Free Trip For Two
- The Ultimate San Francisco Xmas List
- A Handy Glossary Of Gay Terms For The Well-Meaning Hetty
- 8 Events To Titilate Your Christmas Spirit
- Win A New Year’s Vacation To San Francisco
- World AIDS Day Events Near You
- 30 Things Every Gay Man Must Do Before Turning 30
- PHOTOS: Sexy Crowd Turns It Up For Change At HRC Bash
- PHOTOS: Naughty Pups Get Down And Dirty At The Eagle
- PHOTOS: LGBT Center Event Honors Women’s Right Activists And Politicians
- Twerk At These Thanksgiving Weekend Parties
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSJeffrey James Keyes GayCities Marriage Equality Photos Chicago Las Vegas benefit haus Los Angeles Theater pride haus San Francisco party haus New York Miami Pride travel London New York City Washington DC Fire Island
Out on the town: Top Chef Ash Fulk’s New York
Oct 06, 2009
Ash Fulk was kind enough to step out of Bravo’s Top Chef kitchen for a quick interview with GayCities New York Editor, JJ Keyes, and to provide an inside peek at where celebrity cooks like to eat in New York and Las Vegas.
JJK: We love you on Top Chef. You’re making such clever dishes on the show. When did you start cooking?
AF: I started cooking professionally when I was, maybe, 19. Before that I used to have dinner parties for my friends in high school. Some were great–some not so great.
JJK: When did you move to New York City from California?
AF: I moved to New York in 2007. My first week here, I lived at 155 and St Nicks. One night I was coming home and I couldn’t work my key so I had to sleep on the stoop! Luckily I was broke and looked it, so no one robbed me. This city is tough but worth it!
JJK: I totally agree. How long have you been Sous Chef at Trestle on Tenth?
AF: About two years. I really love working with the (head) chef. He has a great “let’s try it” attitude. I’ve learned a ton from him.
JJK: There are so many restaurants in Manhattan. I’m always looking for a few new places to try. What are some of your favorites in the New York?
JJK: Do you know of any good places to go if someone doesn’t want to get a full dinner, but just have something light over a few martinis with a friend?
AF: I love Cassulula, a cute place with great small plates.
JJK: How about if we skip the food and just want some drinks? What are a few of your favorite bars?
JJK: I’m thinking about planning a trip to Las Vegas this year. Where should I stay?
AF: The M resort of course! On the strip, I really like the Bellagio.
JJK: How about Las Vegas bars? Any recommendations?
AF: The Double Down. Off the strip, Dive Biker Bar. Loved it! Oh and the gay bar is across the street…but I forgot its name.
JJK: What is your favorite thing about being on Top Chef?
AF: Meeting all these amazing chefs! They were all so gracious and incredible cooks.
JJK: Is there anyone you have become especially close to?
AF: I would say that I became closest with Ashley. She is hilarious!