The National Cherry Blossom Festival, the nation’s springtime celebration, will host Opening Ceremonies on March 24th and we’ve got the inside track to making your stay in Washington, D.C. one for the books. Call your friends, pack your bags, and make your Amtrak reservation: it’s time for festive drinks and vivid pinks — spring’s in full bloom.
From the Tidal Basin to Hains Point to the Washington Monument grounds, the blossoms are a sight to behold.
Now, whether traveling to D.C. from New York, Boston, Philadelphia or beyond, we recommend avoiding traffic and airplane baggage fees by booking your trip with Amtrak. Not only does the Amtrak offer that first class feeling at fractional prices, but there’s also plenty of legroom, no middle seats, free Wi-Fi and a Cafe Car where you can enjoy snacks, a delicious meal, fizzy soda or cold brew.
Once you’ve planned your trip to D.C., there’s plenty to do and see during the festival…
1. Adventurous events
- Celebrate: Opening Ceremony, March 24 — Welcome springtime and celebrate the anniversary of the gift of trees from Japan to the United States at the historic Warner Theatre.
- Sing: Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington, Sat., March 17 — Make America Gay Again by enjoying the melodic harmonies of this hunky group of singers.
- Music: Petalpalooza, April 7 — Start the night with some wholesome fun at the Fireworks Show at 8:30 PM.
- Dance: Boogie the night away one last time at Town Danceboutique (pictured, above), the mega dance club, which will take a final bow before closing its doors on July 1, 2018. Catch this awesome nightclub while you can.
2. Rest & relax
- The Embassy Row Hotel — With stunning rooftop views, this DuPont Circle gem is steps away from the White House
- W Hotel Washington, D.C. — Historic details and high fashion blend at this posh hotel chain known for glamour
- The St. Regis — The iconic choice hotel for royalty, prime ministers, presidents, and you
- Hotel Palomar Washington, D.C. — This art house style hotel is where the sophisticated men come to relax
3. Enjoy fine dining
- Nage — Trendy DuPont Cirlce eatery serving posh shellfish and upscale seafoods
- Central Michael Richard — Big portions and mouthwatering tastes at this award winning American-French bistro
- Annie’s Paramount Steakhouse — Power brokers meet here for upscale dining and the swanky upstairs lounge
- The Pig — Unique seasonal flavors like the sesame gochujang glazed baby back ribs are deliciously indulgent