- Amazing, never-before-published photos from the historic 1993 March on Washington for LGBTQ rights
- 10 classic gay diners to hang out at and carb load while they last
- PHOTOS: Hunky Jesus once again resurrected in San Francisco
- The annual Gay Easter Parade in New Orleans was a giant pastel feathered fête
- “Dead Boys Club,” and 9 classic, long lost queer films that can now finally be seen
- Confirmed: NYC Pride will also rise up against President Trump
- Spring is the season for blossoming new bromances
- New Orleans is about to be overrun by Jake Shears and other sexy book nerds
- It’s official! LA Pride parade canceled, replaced with protest march
- New Orleans holds a “reverse parade” opposing Trump’s antigay agenda in powerful must-see video
- Winter wonderland: seven hotspots to hit the slopes this winter
- The world’s 12 gayest hot spots to ring in the New Year
- Wanna get away? Hit one of these sultry gay beaches this winter
- 9 ways San Francisco created hippie–then hipster–fashions for the world to enjoy
- PHOTOS: And the winners of the 2016 ‘Best Of GayCities’ awards are…
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSLondon Fire Island Pride pride haus Jeffrey James Keyes Photos Chicago party haus Washington DC Theater Miami New York City Marriage Equality GayCities Los Angeles San Francisco Las Vegas New York travel gay travel
Gay MLK Weekend Events Guide
Jan 12, 2011
Martin Luther King, Jr.’s wildest dream probably did not include a bunch of cute Southern boys in trunks grooving to Diana Ross, even if such a fevered vision might have been enjoyed by his gay sidekick Bayard Rustin. But that’s one of the many great things about King’s legacy: the fact that we get a whole weekend every year to celebrate the man who taught us to dream big, enjoy our freedom and to never stop pushing for the right to be ourselves.
In honor of MLK, here’s the GayCities round-up of some of the most popular events happening across the country this weekend, from fundraisers to dance parties.
- Atlanta claims its title of Hotlanta this weekend with lots of steamy action that will surely keep you busy right up to the minute you have to stagger in to work on Tuesday. Traxx Official King Weekend Bash brings R&B singer Keri Hilson to perform on Saturday, giving enough time to recuperate. For those wanting to keep going, Wassup N ATL has events scheduled every single night. And while you’re parading around, make sure to stop by the NOH8 Campaign open photoshoot on Sunday to pose and show your support.
- The ladies aren’t getting left out. The sold-out HER HRC brings burlesque to Atmosphere in Chicago.
- On the West Coast, check out American Idol contestant Frenchie Davis at the grand opening of Eden in San Diego.
- Moto Blanco makes his debut at the San Francisco circuit party FRESH @ Ruby Skye.
See the complete GayCities guide to MLK Weekend
Photo by Adam Bouska