- Fifteen Trending Places To Visit 2015
- Photo Exhibit Celebrates Art & AIDS: Amor y Pasión
- Get Your Travel On With These Perfect 3-Day Weekend Getaways
- Don’t Miss These Unique, Off-The-Beaten-Path Gems of Los Angeles
- Here Are Six Awesome Los Angeles Neighborhoods You Should Be Hanging Out In
- PHOTOS: An Intimate Glimpse At The Gay Male Escorts Of Amsterdam
- Open Up And Eat Your Way Through L.A. There Is Plenty Here To Nibble On
- Here Are The Top Ten Kinkiest Cities In America. Sir, Yes, Sir!
- PHOTOS: An Invitation Only Glimpse Behind the Fashion Week Curtain With Photographer Christopher Logan
- PHOTOS: Bianca Del Rio And Michael Musto Hosted The Unforgettable GLAM Awards
- PHOTOS: Alyssa Edwards, Alaska, Rhea Litre, And Others Show Off Their Manicures In New Davide Laffe Video
- Vote Now For Your Favorite Rising Stars In The OutMusic Awards
- PHOTOS: 30 Amazing Cruise Images On The 30th Anniversary Of The Great RSVP
- Seven Countries You Love That Don’t Treat Us Equally
- PHOTOS: “Looking” Fans in Los Angeles Get Sexy Sneak Peak
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSNew York Pride party haus pride haus Miami Photos GayCities Fire Island Marriage Equality travel Las Vegas London Jeffrey James Keyes San Francisco Washington DC Los Angeles Theater New York City Chicago benefit haus
Westboro Baptist Protest In Times Square Today. New Yorkers Stand Ready
Jan 18, 2013
We’ll say one thing about our fellow New Yorkers: They’re not afraid of sharing their opinion. As the heinous Westboro Baptist Church readies for a scheduled protest in Times Square, a counter-protest has already lined up more than 2,500 volunteers.
“I was surprised we got that many invites in such a short period,” organizer Kenneth Woodhouse told Next Magazine. “It was just leapfrog really.”
He says he’s not the type of person who typically jumps onto bandwagons on social media, but when he saw that Westboro Baptist was planning on picketing the Sandy Hook victim’s funerals, he decided he needed to do something tangible.
“I had gone onto their page, just to go back again and I went through all of their videos,” he explains. “When I saw that they’re going to be in New York City, I thought, ‘you know, I can sit here and I can write and I can kvetch all I want, but it’s not going to do any good.”
The counter-demonstration, which will begin at 4pm today at 42nd Street and Broadway, will be somewhat low-key.
“My idea is to just really obliterate them in anonymity,” explains Woodhouse. “To just have three rows of people around them so that the police can’t see them, the media can’t see them.”
We could probably just bury them in Elmo and Hello Kitty impersonators.
To attend the Westboro Baptist Church Counter-Presence In NYC in Times Square, get details on the official Facebook page