- PHOTOS: Leather Daddies Rule The Streets At San Francisco’s Up Your Alley
- You’ll Flip For The Sexy Men’s Swimwear At Miami Beach Fashion Week
- WATCH: Two Cute Guys Ride To Luxury Hotel For A Surprise Challenge
- PHOTOS: Fifteen Things We Love About NYC Pride 2015
- Get Your Marriage On At These Five Perfect San Francisco Places
- Seven Tips To Surviving & Thriving At San Francisco Pride
- Here Are Eight Awesome Can’t Miss NYC Pride Events
- Love Conquers All For These Gorgeous LGBT Globetrotters
- The Queens Fought Back And Won. Now The Stonewall Inn Wins Historic Landmark Designation
- Nick Adams, Laverne Cox, Bianca Del Rio Celebrate The Top Bottoms Of Broadway Bares
- Five Things We Love About New York Pride
- PHOTOS: Decades Of Pride In Amazing Images
- PHOTOS: The World’s Best Nude Beaches, 2015 Edition
- Five Amazing Off The Beaten Path Prides To Check Out
- Eat Your Heart Out Mark Twain: San Francisco Is Set For Another Glorious Summer
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSLos Angeles Photos San Francisco travel New York City New York party haus pride haus Fire Island Jeffrey James Keyes Miami Pride GayCities Theater Chicago London Las Vegas Marriage Equality Washington DC benefit haus
Westboro Baptist Protest In Times Square Today. New Yorkers Stand Ready
Jan 18, 2013
We’ll say one thing about our fellow New Yorkers: They’re not afraid of sharing their opinion. As the heinous Westboro Baptist Church readies for a scheduled protest in Times Square, a counter-protest has already lined up more than 2,500 volunteers.
“I was surprised we got that many invites in such a short period,” organizer Kenneth Woodhouse told Next Magazine. “It was just leapfrog really.”
He says he’s not the type of person who typically jumps onto bandwagons on social media, but when he saw that Westboro Baptist was planning on picketing the Sandy Hook victim’s funerals, he decided he needed to do something tangible.
“I had gone onto their page, just to go back again and I went through all of their videos,” he explains. “When I saw that they’re going to be in New York City, I thought, ‘you know, I can sit here and I can write and I can kvetch all I want, but it’s not going to do any good.”
The counter-demonstration, which will begin at 4pm today at 42nd Street and Broadway, will be somewhat low-key.
“My idea is to just really obliterate them in anonymity,” explains Woodhouse. “To just have three rows of people around them so that the police can’t see them, the media can’t see them.”
We could probably just bury them in Elmo and Hello Kitty impersonators.
To attend the Westboro Baptist Church Counter-Presence In NYC in Times Square, get details on the official Facebook page