- Behind The Harness: The Extraordinary History Of The Folsom Street Fair
- Last Day To RSVP For The Star-Studded Stoli Guy Finale In New York City
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Philadelphia Winner Mark Has The Charming Personality Of A Superstar
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Los Angeles Winner Robert Showcases His Authentic Tahitian Dancing
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Seattle Winner Sean Choreographs An Inspiring Dance Routine
- PHOTOS: The Boys Go Neon In New York City
- VOTE: Stoli Guy D.C. Winner William Struts His Stuff Like A True Professional
- VOTE: Stoli Guy San Francisco Winner Spencer Shakes What His Mama Gave Him
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Chicago Winner Jon Melts Our Hearts With An Inspiring Performance
- You’re Invited To The Stoli Guy NYC Finale With Betty Who & Blake Skjellerup
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Boston Winner Davy D Puts On A Show-Stopping Performance
- 13 Most Wanted Men: Andy Warhol Created A Scandal At The 1964 World’s Fair
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Fort Lauderdale Winner Michael Has The Entire Package
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Dallas Winner Davidré Dead Drops To The Top
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Denver Winner David Serves A Sickening Stage Presence
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSpride haus GayCities Jeffrey James Keyes Fire Island New York City Miami Las Vegas Washington DC Marriage Equality Los Angeles New York travel London San Francisco Photos Chicago Pride benefit haus party haus Theater
Westboro Baptist Protest In Times Square Today. New Yorkers Stand Ready
Jan 18, 2013 by GayCities
We’ll say one thing about our fellow New Yorkers: They’re not afraid of sharing their opinion. As the heinous Westboro Baptist Church readies for a scheduled protest in Times Square, a counter-protest has already lined up more than 2,500 volunteers.
“I was surprised we got that many invites in such a short period,” organizer Kenneth Woodhouse told Next Magazine. “It was just leapfrog really.”
He says he’s not the type of person who typically jumps onto bandwagons on social media, but when he saw that Westboro Baptist was planning on picketing the Sandy Hook victim’s funerals, he decided he needed to do something tangible.
“I had gone onto their page, just to go back again and I went through all of their videos,” he explains. “When I saw that they’re going to be in New York City, I thought, ‘you know, I can sit here and I can write and I can kvetch all I want, but it’s not going to do any good.”
The counter-demonstration, which will begin at 4pm today at 42nd Street and Broadway, will be somewhat low-key.
“My idea is to just really obliterate them in anonymity,” explains Woodhouse. “To just have three rows of people around them so that the police can’t see them, the media can’t see them.”
We could probably just bury them in Elmo and Hello Kitty impersonators.
To attend the Westboro Baptist Church Counter-Presence In NYC in Times Square, get details on the official Facebook page