- Everything You Need To Know To Live The Gay Fantasy At Burning Man
- PHOTOS: The Men of Fire Island Rise for Ascension 2014
- And The Winning #EqualityInColor Pride Photo Is…
- A Glimpse into the World of Montreal Photographer Jean-François Portelance
- PHOTOS: 16 Reasons To Get Into The Gay Games
- The 8 Best Clothing-Optional Resorts To Satisfy Your Inner Nudist
- PHOTOS: Behind the Scenes with the Montreal’s Showgirls, GoGo Dancers, and DJs
- PHOTOS: Glamberts Glitter In Briefs At LA Pool Party
- PHOTOS: Is Amsterdam’s Canal Parade The Most Festive Pride On The Planet?
- Montreal Gays Sound Off On What Makes Them Special!
- Gays Are Winning The Culture War And Here’s Why
- Tom Waddell Created The Gay Games To Change The World. His Dream Is Coming True
- PHOTOS: Stoli Guys Of The South
- Explore Dublin, London And Paris With The Spirit of Oscar Wilde
- PHOTOS: Montréal Prepares for the Biggest Divers/Cité Yet
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSparty haus Theater Jeffrey James Keyes New York Photos Fire Island Pride Chicago pride haus Los Angeles New York City benefit haus GayCities London Marriage Equality travel Las Vegas San Francisco Washington DC Miami
SF Gay Bar Twin Peaks Tavern Being Made A City Landmark
Nov 19, 2012 by GayCities
The Castro’s legendary Twin Peaks tavern may be named a historical landmark by the city of San Francisco next month.
It’s believed the mainstay gay watering hole was the first to have clear, floor-to-ceiling windows that let the sun (and passersby) peer in, back when it debuted in 1972.
Located at 401 Castro Street, it was the first gay bar in the city to have clear glass windows at a time when people could be fired based on their sexual orientation. The San Francisco Historic Preservation Commission voted last month to support the bar’s nomination, and gay District 8 Supervisor Scott Wiener has sponsored the ordinance before the board to landmark the bar.
A Board of Supervisor committee will vote on the measure on December 1o, after which the mayor is expected to sign it into law.
h/t: Joe My God