- PHOTOS: Looking’s Frankie Alvarez Helps Raise Funds For LGBT Elders
- 11 Incredible Out Adventures To Experience Before You Die
- French Politicians Are Freaked Over Tabloid Outing Of Gay VP
- The Golden Girls Xmas Drag Show Is All Sorts Of Holiday Magic
- Vote For The 2014 Best Of GayCities And Win A Free Trip For Two
- The Ultimate San Francisco Xmas List
- A Handy Glossary Of Gay Terms For The Well-Meaning Hetty
- 8 Events To Titilate Your Christmas Spirit
- Win A New Year’s Vacation To San Francisco
- World AIDS Day Events Near You
- 30 Things Every Gay Man Must Do Before Turning 30
- PHOTOS: Sexy Crowd Turns It Up For Change At HRC Bash
- PHOTOS: Naughty Pups Get Down And Dirty At The Eagle
- PHOTOS: LGBT Center Event Honors Women’s Right Activists And Politicians
- Twerk At These Thanksgiving Weekend Parties
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSGayCities Washington DC San Francisco benefit haus Fire Island London party haus travel Los Angeles pride haus New York City New York Theater Marriage Equality Photos Chicago Las Vegas Pride Jeffrey James Keyes Miami
PHOTOS: Turning Japanese At The First-Ever Tokyo Rainbow Pride Parade
May 01, 2012
Tokyo celebrated its first Tokyo Rainbow Pride parade on Sunday, April 29, as thousands of marchers walked through Shibuya and Harajuku.
Speakers at the event—which is separate from Tokyo Pride, which is held August 11—included Japan’s first two openly gay politicians, Taiga Ishikawa and Wataru Ishizaka, trans politician Aya Kamikawa, members of the ruling Democratic Party of Japan and representatives from the U.S. Consul General of Osaka. Members of the U.S. military were on hand as well, marching with OutServe.
The event coincided with the start of Golden Week—Japan’s major holiday season— and also included drag shows, traditional dance and a video greeting from pop star and gay icon Ayumi Hamasaki, whose song “How Beautiful You Are” was chanted by the crowd.
Click through for more photos from Tokyo Rainbow Pride
Photos: Steve75, Tokyo Rainbow Pride