- We Are In Kansas City For the World Series, And It’s Pretty Darn Gay
- Ten Things You Should Know About Gay Bars From A Castro Bartender
- Meanwhile in London… 12 UK Gay Scene DJs You Should Get To Know
- PHOTOS: Gays in the Military Exhibition
- A Deep Dive Into Identities Of Queer Teens
- Interview: Jackie Beat On The Facebook Drag War, Safe Sex & San Francisco
- PHOTOS: Vampire Dandies and Alien Princesses Take the Stage at Bowieball 2014
- PHOTOS: Sin Is In At This Year’s Hustlaball
- Trick And Treat At The Ultimate Halloween Party
- PHOTOS: Brent Corrigan And Friends Star At Austin’s LGBT Film Fest
- 8 Great Reads To Scratch Your Literary Itch This Fall
- 5 Reasons The Death Of Gayborhoods Is Highly Exaggerated
- Mark Your Calendars, New Yorkers
- Twinks Rule In These 10 Cities Around The World
- PHOTOS: Mile High Immersive Dinner Theater Lands In NYC’s Lower East Side
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSgay travel Miami Theater Pride Las Vegas Fire Island Photos Jeffrey James Keyes Washington DC pride haus San Francisco Chicago GayCities London New York travel New York City party haus Los Angeles Marriage Equality
PHOTOS: Coming Out for Philadelphia’s International Flower Show
Mar 13, 2012 by GayCities
What happens when you combine the gays, pretty flower arrangements and cocktails? Well, take a look at our photos and you’ll get the idea, thanks to the Philadelphia International Flower show, March 5.
Philip Watson, author of Pleasure Gardens, joined Philadelphia Horticultural Society President Drew Becher in greeting guests this year’s show, Hawaii: Islands of Aloha, which brought a spectacular Hawaii Village scene to the streets of Philadelphia. Guests were treated tp dramatic projections of crashing waves and an over-the-top, ornate display of over 2,000 white orchids, towering palms, bamboo, green walls, and a plant canopy evoking the Hawaiian rainforest.
Philly has the only LGBT night at a flower show, at least that we know of. But, really, the gays flock to almost any flower show. It’s spring and there’s plenty of time to bloom. Chicago’s Flower & Garden Show, appropriately called “Hort Couture,” is currently in bloom at the Navy Pier. Boston’s Flower & Garden Show kicks off March 14 at the Seaport World Trade Center, followed by San Francisco‘s “Gardens for a Green Earth” Flower & Garden Show.
Photos courtesy of Jessica Vermeer Hawkes and the Philadelphia Horticulture Society
Check out the slideshow of flowers and their fans…