- Everything You Need To Know To Live The Gay Fantasy At Burning Man
- PHOTOS: The Men of Fire Island Rise for Ascension 2014
- And The Winning #EqualityInColor Pride Photo Is…
- A Glimpse into the World of Montreal Photographer Jean-François Portelance
- PHOTOS: 16 Reasons To Get Into The Gay Games
- The 8 Best Clothing-Optional Resorts To Satisfy Your Inner Nudist
- PHOTOS: Behind the Scenes with the Montreal’s Showgirls, GoGo Dancers, and DJs
- PHOTOS: Glamberts Glitter In Briefs At LA Pool Party
- PHOTOS: Is Amsterdam’s Canal Parade The Most Festive Pride On The Planet?
- Montreal Gays Sound Off On What Makes Them Special!
- Gays Are Winning The Culture War And Here’s Why
- Tom Waddell Created The Gay Games To Change The World. His Dream Is Coming True
- PHOTOS: Stoli Guys Of The South
- Explore Dublin, London And Paris With The Spirit of Oscar Wilde
- PHOTOS: Montréal Prepares for the Biggest Divers/Cité Yet
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSbenefit haus Chicago Los Angeles Miami GayCities Pride party haus San Francisco Theater Las Vegas Fire Island Photos Marriage Equality pride haus Washington DC London Jeffrey James Keyes New York City New York travel
PHOTOS: Arias With A Twist Touches Down in New York City
Sep 18, 2011 by GayCities
Starting tonight, Joey Arias returns to New York City with his popular show Arias with a Twist, a madcap fantasy featuring Arias’ unique song stylings and a menagerie of marionettes under the keen direction of outré puppeteer Basil Twist.
Arias, who originated the role of the emcee in the Vegas Cirque du Soleil extravaganza, Zumanity, got his start in downtown New York in the early 80s, where he attended a party hosted by Andy Warhol and budding art stars Kenny Scharf, Jean Michel Basquiat and Keith Haring. As Arias tells Out magazine, “I was a drag party—I had this big red wig on and tits out to here.” The enamored partygoers told Arias he never needed to wear men’s clothing again.
We wouldn’t call Arias a drag queen though—and neither would he. “I’m not a drag queen—I’m a goddess. Some people say, ‘Oh she’s a diva.’ But a diva still needs things—a goddess is above it all.”
Apropos of such a divine creature, Arias’ costumes for the Arias with a Twist tour were created by legendary designer Thierry Mugler.
Arias with a Twist runs at Abron Arts Center Sept 18–Oct 15.
Photography by Steven Menendez