- Madonna Lyrics Reimagined As Motivational Posters
- White House Plans First National Monument To Honor Gay Rights
- Six Queer Promposals That Will Light Up Your Life
- Vintage Pics From Waikiki’s Gay Beaches Prove That Speedos Never Go Out Of Style
- PHOTOS: These Vintage Gay Pride Photos Are Absolutely Everything
- PHOTOS: Andrew Rannells Celebrates Model Behavior Backstage At Jeffrey Fashion Cares
- PHOTOS: Hunky Jesus Contest Brings Beloved Sacrilege Back To San Francisco
- Fit For A Queen: The Lavish ’70s Palm Springs Home That Time Forgot
- The Gay Easter Parade Hops Through The French Quarter In New Orleans
- PHOTOS: Raided Legendary LA Club Brought Back To Life In Remarkable Images
- More LGBT People Are Moving To “Red” States
- PHOTOS: Inside The Fabulous Launch Party For Queerty’s New “Going Places” Web Series
- PHOTOS: 12 Extraordinary Kisses To Remember Valentine’s Day
- Closeted Married Men, Gay Vets, And Tap-Dancing Lesbians: 10 Juicy Winter Reading Recommendations
- Queerty’s V-Day Kiss Photo Contest: Hit It, Submit It & Win
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSGayCities Jeffrey James Keyes Chicago benefit haus Fire Island Theater pride haus San Francisco New York Washington DC Pride Los Angeles London Marriage Equality Las Vegas New York City travel party haus Miami Photos
PHOTOS: Arias With A Twist Touches Down in New York City
Sep 18, 2011
Starting tonight, Joey Arias returns to New York City with his popular show Arias with a Twist, a madcap fantasy featuring Arias’ unique song stylings and a menagerie of marionettes under the keen direction of outré puppeteer Basil Twist.
Arias, who originated the role of the emcee in the Vegas Cirque du Soleil extravaganza, Zumanity, got his start in downtown New York in the early 80s, where he attended a party hosted by Andy Warhol and budding art stars Kenny Scharf, Jean Michel Basquiat and Keith Haring. As Arias tells Out magazine, “I was a drag party—I had this big red wig on and tits out to here.” The enamored partygoers told Arias he never needed to wear men’s clothing again.
We wouldn’t call Arias a drag queen though—and neither would he. “I’m not a drag queen—I’m a goddess. Some people say, ‘Oh she’s a diva.’ But a diva still needs things—a goddess is above it all.”
Apropos of such a divine creature, Arias’ costumes for the Arias with a Twist tour were created by legendary designer Thierry Mugler.
Arias with a Twist runs at Abron Arts Center Sept 18–Oct 15.
Photography by Steven Menendez