- PHOTOS: San Francisco Prepares For the Annual Santa Skivvies Run
- PHOTOS: The Boys and Gurls of Hells Kitchen Get Into the Finale of So You Think You Can Drag
- PHOTOS: Things Get Raunchy At The Eagle In Seattle
- Homo For The Holigays: 8 Essentials For Your Thanksgiving Survival Kit
- PHOTOS: Sunday Service In NYC Proves To Be Irreverent
- PHOTOS: DJ Tracy Young Scores At Her Birthday Bash On Miami Beach
- Bartenders Get Laid All The Time, And 12 Other Myths About Bartenders
- 10 Reasons SF Is The Best/Worst Place For Gay Men
- 10 Reasons Thanksgiving Is Even Gayer Than Halloween
- PHOTOS: Costumed Hunks Get Into La Leche Halloween in New York City
- These Gay Cowboys Are Living Their Dream And Shattering Stereotypes
- PHOTOS: A Hard Day In The Life Of An Andrew Christian Underwear Model
- Packing Light: 10 Worthwhile Weekend Getaways
- PHOTOS: Halloween With The Ghouls Of RuPaul’s Drag Race
- PHOTOS: The Stunning Male Portraits Of David Armstrong Are Remembered
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSLos Angeles Fire Island Miami travel pride haus Photos gay travel Jeffrey James Keyes New York City Pride Theater Las Vegas Chicago GayCities party haus Marriage Equality San Francisco Washington DC New York London
PHOTOS: Arias With A Twist Touches Down in New York City
Sep 18, 2011
Starting tonight, Joey Arias returns to New York City with his popular show Arias with a Twist, a madcap fantasy featuring Arias’ unique song stylings and a menagerie of marionettes under the keen direction of outré puppeteer Basil Twist.
Arias, who originated the role of the emcee in the Vegas Cirque du Soleil extravaganza, Zumanity, got his start in downtown New York in the early 80s, where he attended a party hosted by Andy Warhol and budding art stars Kenny Scharf, Jean Michel Basquiat and Keith Haring. As Arias tells Out magazine, “I was a drag party—I had this big red wig on and tits out to here.” The enamored partygoers told Arias he never needed to wear men’s clothing again.
We wouldn’t call Arias a drag queen though—and neither would he. “I’m not a drag queen—I’m a goddess. Some people say, ‘Oh she’s a diva.’ But a diva still needs things—a goddess is above it all.”
Apropos of such a divine creature, Arias’ costumes for the Arias with a Twist tour were created by legendary designer Thierry Mugler.
Arias with a Twist runs at Abron Arts Center Sept 18–Oct 15.
Photography by Steven Menendez