- Open Up And Eat Your Way Through L.A. There Is Plenty Here To Nibble On
- PHOTOS: An Invitation Only Glimpse Behind the Fashion Week Curtain With Photographer Christopher Logan
- PHOTOS: Bianca Del Rio And Michael Musto Hosted The Unforgettable GLAM Awards
- PHOTOS: Alyssa Edwards, Alaska, Rhea Litre, And Others Show Off Their Manicures In New Davide Laffe Video
- Vote Now For Your Favorite Rising Stars In The OutMusic Awards
- PHOTOS: 30 Amazing Cruise Images On The 30th Anniversary Of The Great RSVP
- Seven Countries You Love That Don’t Treat Us Equally
- PHOTOS: “Looking” Fans in Los Angeles Get Sexy Sneak Peak
- PHOTOS: HBO’s Looking Takes A Bite Of The Big Apple
- And The Winners Are…
- PHOTOS: Hot Jocks Drop Trou For The Ali Forney Center
- Find Summer Lovin’ All Year Round On Los Angeles Beaches
- After the Ball Dropped: New Yorkers Get Into 2015
- PHOTOS: Kisses, Tears And Laughter At Florida’s First Gay Weddings
- Florida Homophobes Sulk In Shadows As Marriages Commence
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSbenefit haus Jeffrey James Keyes pride haus Washington DC travel Pride party haus Fire Island Las Vegas Theater New York City London New York Miami San Francisco Los Angeles Marriage Equality Chicago GayCities Photos
PHOTOS: Arias With A Twist Touches Down in New York City
Sep 18, 2011
Starting tonight, Joey Arias returns to New York City with his popular show Arias with a Twist, a madcap fantasy featuring Arias’ unique song stylings and a menagerie of marionettes under the keen direction of outré puppeteer Basil Twist.
Arias, who originated the role of the emcee in the Vegas Cirque du Soleil extravaganza, Zumanity, got his start in downtown New York in the early 80s, where he attended a party hosted by Andy Warhol and budding art stars Kenny Scharf, Jean Michel Basquiat and Keith Haring. As Arias tells Out magazine, “I was a drag party—I had this big red wig on and tits out to here.” The enamored partygoers told Arias he never needed to wear men’s clothing again.
We wouldn’t call Arias a drag queen though—and neither would he. “I’m not a drag queen—I’m a goddess. Some people say, ‘Oh she’s a diva.’ But a diva still needs things—a goddess is above it all.”
Apropos of such a divine creature, Arias’ costumes for the Arias with a Twist tour were created by legendary designer Thierry Mugler.
Arias with a Twist runs at Abron Arts Center Sept 18–Oct 15.
Photography by Steven Menendez