- Twinks Rule In These 10 Cities Around The World
- PHOTOS: Mile High Immersive Dinner Theater Lands In NYC’s Lower East Side
- What’s The Stoli Guy Winner Going To Do With The $10,000 Prize?
- PHOTOS: Big Freedia, Honey Soundsystem Do Austin’s Queer Music Fest
- PHOTOS: Jonathan Groff, Brent Corrigan, Politicians Do Folsom
- Behind The Harness: The Extraordinary History Of The Folsom Street Fair
- Last Day To RSVP For The Star-Studded Stoli Guy Finale In New York City
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Philadelphia Winner Mark Has The Charming Personality Of A Superstar
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Los Angeles Winner Robert Showcases His Authentic Tahitian Dancing
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Seattle Winner Sean Choreographs An Inspiring Dance Routine
- PHOTOS: The Boys Go Neon In New York City
- VOTE: Stoli Guy D.C. Winner William Struts His Stuff Like A True Professional
- VOTE: Stoli Guy San Francisco Winner Spencer Shakes What His Mama Gave Him
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Chicago Winner Jon Melts Our Hearts With An Inspiring Performance
- You’re Invited To The Stoli Guy NYC Finale With Betty Who & Blake Skjellerup
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSpride haus Marriage Equality Jeffrey James Keyes party haus Chicago GayCities Los Angeles gay travel Las Vegas Fire Island New York City San Francisco travel London Washington DC Theater New York Miami Photos Pride
The A-List: New York: Austin Gets Fluffed For Playgirl. Or Not.
Aug 02, 2011 by GayCities
In the charmingly naive, Forrest Gump-like world of The A-List: New York, the entity known as Playgirl is a mysterious object of unknown origins. Aware that it exists as a bound, glossy product that people call a “magazine,” the A-Listers are unsure as to what posing for it entails—but Austin really, really, really wants to do it.
The show really wants this, too. In fact, very short shrift is given to the secondary storyline where Ryan half-assedly “fires” TJ for no solid reason. How could anyone fire TJ? He’s worth his paycheck in great reaction shots and nacho-rescue skills alone. You need some nachos held aloft and rushed to safety in the middle of a catfight? TJ is your main bro.
Meanwhile, cursory attention is paid is to Rodiney discussing his plans to get a restraining order against Austin, and to everybody yammering about Austin’s drinking and violence problems—as well as to the ongoing saga of Nyasha finally learning Nyasha’s new friends’ names. All to give primacy to Austin’s incredible journey to the fleshy land of Playgirl.
This pilgrimage requires many pitstops to allow everyone to take Austin aside and tell him how fat he is. It’s important to have
co-workers friends like this in your life or you might just high-gear the morbid obesity and wind up forklifted out of your home by Richard Simmons.
The A-Listers are taken by surprise when they discover that Playgirl requires much more than simple photo-wang. Unless you’re Levi Johnston, Playgirl demands boned-up photo-wang. Who would do such a thing for money? It’s gross! It’s trashy! It’s unheard of! Oh, wait, Reichen did it for free online! Well. Okay then.
At Playgirl, Austin’s told that he’ll have to be “uh-ruhct” for the test shots. Does he need a studio assistant to help get him there? No? Okay, send the studio assistant back there to help anyway. See the assistant come back out wiping his lips! See Austin return to the set with a blur where his blood-engorged Playgirl stipulation would be. Later, see Jake (Austin’s U.K. husband) argue with Austin over the word “fluff.” This is because Austin uses the word “fluff” first. Jake says something like, “How could you allow that studio assistant to fluff you?” Austin responds with, “That studio assistant didn’t fluff me.”
And then the episode is over—the definition of “fluff” hanging in the air, open to multiple interpretations, readings and deconstructions. Are you a “fluff” traditionalist? Then somebody gave Austin a blowjob. Are you post-words-having-meaning? Then Logo just edited in that studio assistant coming back from lunch at Quiznos, removing the excess sandwich fixin’s from his sated lips. Are you just wondering when Austin will physically attack Rodiney again? Rodiney is. “He putting me in dangers,” says everyone’s favorite ESL swimsuit model.
How will Nyasha cope with all the stress these new friends are dumping on Nyasha? And how many dozens of ways will none of this faze Mike Ruiz at all? Hurry up, next week’s episode. Everyone’s counting on you to answer no questions.
The A-List New York airs Mondays at 10pm on Logo.