- What Are Your Favorite Travel Mementoes? We Have 4 To Check Out
- Oakland & Silicon Valley: Top Day Trips From San Francisco
- Honeymoon Travel: Top 5 Things To Know When Planning The Big Trip
- 5 Can’t Miss Things To Enjoy In Provincetown
- Puerto Madero is Buenos Aires answer to travelers seeking chic-waterfront neighborhoods
- Destination Weddings: Top 5 Things To Know Before Saying “I Do”
- 5 Things to enjoy in the Palermo District of Buenos Aires
- Rio de Janeiro: Let the Fun and Games Begin!
- Five Things To Know That Will Help You Get The Most Out Of Japan
- Check Out Downtown Las Vegas, Another World Beyond The Strip
- Seattle: Best American City for Gay Dads?
- Antarctica: Top 5 Tips For the Ultimate White Party
- Pride Season Is Not Over. Orlando Will Hold One Of The Most Important In LGBTQ History.
- Homos, FOMO and the Enduring Appeal of Paris
- PHOTOS: This Charming Texan Was Just Named America’s Top Bartender
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGStravel Miami Marriage Equality Chicago Los Angeles party haus London pride haus gay travel New York City Theater Las Vegas Fire Island Washington DC New York GayCities San Francisco Jeffrey James Keyes Pride Photos
Chicagans Celebrate their Right to Get Not-Married
Jun 03, 2011
With so many disappointments on the road to marriage equality in the US, there are occasional moments of joy we can’t help but get swept up in. Yesterday was the first day that same-sex couples across Illinois were able to have a partnership service officiated, after receiving their civil union licence the day earlier. So to celebrate, around thirty gay couples participated in a mass ceremony in Chicago’s Millenium Park.
And while we can (and do) gripe that the law still does not go far enough to grant couples the full legal marriage rights they deserve, a look at the outpouring of love from yesterday’s event is proof that there are plenty of reasons to celebrate even before we reach the finish line.
“A lot of happy couples” Photo by Chicago Man