- Vote Now And Help One Of These Stoli Guy Finalists Win $10,000
- PHOTOS: Queer Pokémon Fans Stun Straight Nerds, Invade Massive PAX Convention
- The Five Kinkiest Cities In America
- Your 2014 Mr. Gay World Is A Super Hot Dance Teacher From The UK
- Everything You Need To Know To Live The Gay Fantasy At Burning Man
- PHOTOS: The Men of Fire Island Rise for Ascension 2014
- And The Winning #EqualityInColor Pride Photo Is…
- A Glimpse into the World of Montreal Photographer Jean-François Portelance
- PHOTOS: 16 Reasons To Get Into The Gay Games
- The 8 Best Clothing-Optional Resorts To Satisfy Your Inner Nudist
- PHOTOS: Behind the Scenes with the Montreal’s Showgirls, GoGo Dancers, and DJs
- PHOTOS: Glamberts Glitter In Briefs At LA Pool Party
- PHOTOS: Is Amsterdam’s Canal Parade The Most Festive Pride On The Planet?
- Montreal Gays Sound Off On What Makes Them Special!
- Gays Are Winning The Culture War And Here’s Why
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSMiami benefit haus pride haus New York New York City Jeffrey James Keyes San Francisco Marriage Equality London Fire Island Los Angeles party haus travel Theater GayCities Pride Chicago Photos Las Vegas Washington DC
Chicagans Celebrate their Right to Get Not-Married
Jun 03, 2011 by Scott Gatz
With so many disappointments on the road to marriage equality in the US, there are occasional moments of joy we can’t help but get swept up in. Yesterday was the first day that same-sex couples across Illinois were able to have a partnership service officiated, after receiving their civil union licence the day earlier. So to celebrate, around thirty gay couples participated in a mass ceremony in Chicago’s Millenium Park.
And while we can (and do) gripe that the law still does not go far enough to grant couples the full legal marriage rights they deserve, a look at the outpouring of love from yesterday’s event is proof that there are plenty of reasons to celebrate even before we reach the finish line.
“A lot of happy couples” Photo by Chicago Man