- Twinks Rule In These 10 Cities Around The World
- PHOTOS: Mile High Immersive Dinner Theater Lands In NYC’s Lower East Side
- What’s The Stoli Guy Winner Going To Do With The $10,000 Prize?
- PHOTOS: Big Freedia, Honey Soundsystem Do Austin’s Queer Music Fest
- PHOTOS: Jonathan Groff, Brent Corrigan, Politicians Do Folsom
- Behind The Harness: The Extraordinary History Of The Folsom Street Fair
- Last Day To RSVP For The Star-Studded Stoli Guy Finale In New York City
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Philadelphia Winner Mark Has The Charming Personality Of A Superstar
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Los Angeles Winner Robert Showcases His Authentic Tahitian Dancing
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Seattle Winner Sean Choreographs An Inspiring Dance Routine
- PHOTOS: The Boys Go Neon In New York City
- VOTE: Stoli Guy D.C. Winner William Struts His Stuff Like A True Professional
- VOTE: Stoli Guy San Francisco Winner Spencer Shakes What His Mama Gave Him
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Chicago Winner Jon Melts Our Hearts With An Inspiring Performance
- You’re Invited To The Stoli Guy NYC Finale With Betty Who & Blake Skjellerup
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSgay travel Las Vegas GayCities Theater Washington DC party haus Pride Photos Los Angeles New York Jeffrey James Keyes Chicago travel Miami New York City San Francisco London Marriage Equality pride haus Fire Island
Chicagans Celebrate their Right to Get Not-Married
Jun 03, 2011 by Scott Gatz
With so many disappointments on the road to marriage equality in the US, there are occasional moments of joy we can’t help but get swept up in. Yesterday was the first day that same-sex couples across Illinois were able to have a partnership service officiated, after receiving their civil union licence the day earlier. So to celebrate, around thirty gay couples participated in a mass ceremony in Chicago’s Millenium Park.
And while we can (and do) gripe that the law still does not go far enough to grant couples the full legal marriage rights they deserve, a look at the outpouring of love from yesterday’s event is proof that there are plenty of reasons to celebrate even before we reach the finish line.
“A lot of happy couples” Photo by Chicago Man