The place to be for Memorial Day Weekend 2018 is Atlanta. And to experience the festivities and unwind at posh Midtown hotels, Amtrak is the way to arrive in comfort and luxury. Book your Amtrak ticket now.
Between the Buckhead neighborhood, popular for 20-somethings, and the artsy Midtown area, there’s endless fun to be had in Atlanta.
1. Arrive in style
Whether you hop aboard Amtrak in the Big Apple, the Big Easy or someplace in between, you’ll be able to check up to four bags for free. And when you board, you’ll find there are no middle seats — imagine, no middle seats. Kick back and browse the internet with free Wi-Fi on most trains while enjoying a snack from the Cafe Car. Once you arrive at Peachtree Station, grab your bags and get ready for an action-packed weekend. The city will be hoppin’ with visitors from up and down the eastern seaboard.
2. Mingle with the players
- Big Peach Softball Weekend, May 26 & 27 — With the gay Hotlanta Softball League as hosts, you’ll see studs from Orlando, Dallas, Tampa, Fort Lauderdale and Atlanta competing for the big prize.
- Woofs on Piedmont — After the games, head here to meet the players over a pitcher of beer. It’s Atlanta’s only gay sports bar, and with its 27 televisions, every angle’s a pleasure.
- Atlanta Jazz Festival, May 26 & 27 — One of the biggest free jazz festivals in America, groove over to Piedmont Park and enjoy three stages. Every flavor of jazz gets time to shine.
- Mary’s — The unpretentious, quirky neighborhood bar is popular for cute hipsters.
- Mixx Atlanta — Offering a myriad of martinis, Mixx is host to some of Atlanta’s best dancing for a diverse crowd.
- Oscars — Locals love the old school jukebox, campy show tunes, and pop music video nights.
- Henry’s Midtown Tavern — Find the boys hanging around this big deck, perfect for pub bites like shrimp tacos and parmesan fries.
- Cowtippers — Enjoy the sun from the patio while chowing on steaks, sandwiches and burgers (salads, too).
- 10th & Piedmont — This place gets jumping during Sunday brunch, thanks to bottomless mimosas. Reservations recommended.
5. Sleep & chill
- The Georgian Terrace — With sweeping patio views to enjoy morning coffee or an evening glass of wine, this hotel also features a rooftop pool.
- W Atlanta – Midtown — The mini bar is fully stocked and reasonably priced if you want more privacy than what the hotel bar offers.
- Stonehurst Place Bed & Breakfast — Built in a 19th century mansion, the in-room opulence includes fireplaces, heated towels and original Warhol paintings.
6. Lounge in the pool
7. Relax & recover
The party doesn’t have to end just yet. After the wild Hotlanta weekend, know the return trip on Amtrak will be relaxing & totally worry-free. Check in your four free bags, enjoy the generous legroom in the Cafe Car and open a cold one. Watch the scenery go by as you reflect on that wild Memorial Day Weekend.
Unless noted, photos courtesy of Amtrak