- Ten Things You Should Know About Gay Bars From A Castro Bartender
- Meanwhile in London… 12 UK Gay Scene DJs You Should Get To Know
- PHOTOS: Gays in the Military Exhibition
- A Deep Dive Into Identities Of Queer Teens
- Interview: Jackie Beat On The Facebook Drag War, Safe Sex & San Francisco
- PHOTOS: Vampire Dandies and Alien Princesses Take the Stage at Bowieball 2014
- PHOTOS: Sin Is In At This Year’s Hustlaball
- Trick And Treat At The Ultimate Halloween Party
- PHOTOS: Brent Corrigan And Friends Star At Austin’s LGBT Film Fest
- 8 Great Reads To Scratch Your Literary Itch This Fall
- 5 Reasons The Death Of Gayborhoods Is Highly Exaggerated
- Mark Your Calendars, New Yorkers
- Twinks Rule In These 10 Cities Around The World
- PHOTOS: Mile High Immersive Dinner Theater Lands In NYC’s Lower East Side
- What’s The Stoli Guy Winner Going To Do With The $10,000 Prize?
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSNew York Pride travel Photos Theater Las Vegas Los Angeles Washington DC gay travel party haus pride haus New York City San Francisco Chicago Jeffrey James Keyes GayCities Fire Island Miami London Marriage Equality
GayCities, 2010: The Year in Review
Dec 29, 2010 by Oscar Raymundo
This could be the year we might have truly outdone ourselves. Gays were everywhere in 2010–from the biggest little city in the world to the biggest big cities we call home. How could we be missed? We wore white, we wore drag, we wore leather and (judging by these sets of photos) we were also pretty naked a lot of the time.
How could we top that? Well, now we can add military uniforms to our ever-evolving wardrobe. Yes, at the end of the day, boy oh boy, does it feel good to be gay. And it just keeps getting better.
Much to our joy, the GayCities year started with a kiss. A kiss photo challenge that is, just in time for Valentine’s Day. Matt and Bobby took home the big prize: two-night stay and romantic dinner for two at any Kimpton Hotel and Restaurant. Their photo not only captures young love at its finest, but it also features a touching backstory:
Bobby had to go back to America for Christmas break so I arranged to go too and surprise him. His parents confronted him about being in a relationship with me. Bobby told his parents that he had no intention of leaving me, so we left that night and drove to New York. Bobby had once said that when he had visited France he saw an elderly couple walking through a archway of curved branches and told me he wants the same for us in 50 years time. I noticed the trees right here in Central Park, so I told him to walk up the path with me.
* * *
We have to admit, here at GayCities we got a little mushy after reading that and decided to keep spreading the love for the rest of the year. We sent a party boy to WeHo, a foodie to Sonoma County and a tanned hottie on a cruise. GayCities also gave away tickets to Kathy Griffin and to the GayVN Awards. And, of course, we are right now getting ready to send one lucky GayCities member to Berlin in Best of GayCities, 2010: The World According to Gays.