- Queerty’s V-Day Kiss Photo Contest: Hit It, Submit It & Win
- A Portland Feminist Explains How To Drink The World’s Best Beer Like A Woman
- 5 Nightlife Gems You Can Only Find In Portland
- 5 Fascinating Facts About The Country’s Longest Continuously Running Drag Show
- A Black Queer Trans Portlander Reveals A Side Of The City You Won’t See On Portlandia
- Chug-A-Lug Gurl! Gay Beer Turns 25
- 11 Things To Do In San Francisco With Your GBFFs
- In Praise Of Tiny Gay Bars
- Your Favorite Cities And Travel Destinations?: The Winners Are…
- David Bowie Fans Gather For Massive Sing-Along In South London
- Six Classic Works Of Gay Literature Everyone Should Read In The New Year
- Smart & Sexy Locals Tell You Where To Hang Out In Madrid & Barcelona
- Some Like It Hot: The 12 Very Best Party Haus Galleries Of 2015
- Why San Francisco Is The World’s Gay Mecca
- Pedro’s Spain: 8 of Almodóvar’s Most Iconic Film Locations
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSFire Island travel Miami Jeffrey James Keyes pride haus Los Angeles New York City benefit haus Las Vegas New York GayCities Marriage Equality London Washington DC party haus San Francisco Pride Chicago Photos Theater
PHOTOS: Adorable Couple Enjoys Romantic Getaway In The Fire Island Pines
Jun 17, 2014
Since the season is here, we thought it would be fun to follow a New York City couple, Adam Hostler and Jean-Paul Morales, on that gay ritual: A summer getaway to Fire Island, in this case The Madison Fire Island Pines.
Adam and Jean-Paul are both actors working in New York City. They were ready for a quick getaway and while Adam has spent a great deal of time up in Provincetown during the past few summers, Fire Island is the perfect option for a quick escape.
Adam and Jean-Paul went over their travel options at Penn Station. From May 24 to September 1 the Long Island Railroad offers a Fire Island Pines Getaway Package including a discounted LIRR Off Peak round trip ticket, ferry and colonial taxis.
The guys ended up taking a 9:22am train on the Long Island Railroad from Penn Station to Sayville, New York with a quick transfer in Babylon. They arrived in Sayville just before 11:00am.
In Sayville a shuttle bus picked the guys up and dropped them off at the Sayville Ferry Dock in order to catch the 11:30am ferry to the Pines. There’s an adorable bar/restaurant at the ferry dock with boats leaving to the Pines and Cherry Grove throughout the season. The ferry schedule changes periodically, current schedules to the Pines are available here.
The ferry is usually packed with guys heading out to the big party weekends (Ascension, The Pines Party, Black Out, and Independence Day) but a quick escape during the week is a perfect summer getaway and an ideal opportunity to relax by the pool and catch some sun. The guys were surprised at how much room there was on the ferry on an off-season day. “The last time I came out was over the Black Out Weekend last season,” commented Jean-Paul, “you couldn’t even get a seat on the ferry.”