- We Are In Kansas City For the World Series, And It’s Pretty Darn Gay
- Ten Things You Should Know About Gay Bars From A Castro Bartender
- Meanwhile in London… 12 UK Gay Scene DJs You Should Get To Know
- PHOTOS: Gays in the Military Exhibition
- A Deep Dive Into Identities Of Queer Teens
- Interview: Jackie Beat On The Facebook Drag War, Safe Sex & San Francisco
- PHOTOS: Vampire Dandies and Alien Princesses Take the Stage at Bowieball 2014
- PHOTOS: Sin Is In At This Year’s Hustlaball
- Trick And Treat At The Ultimate Halloween Party
- PHOTOS: Brent Corrigan And Friends Star At Austin’s LGBT Film Fest
- 8 Great Reads To Scratch Your Literary Itch This Fall
- 5 Reasons The Death Of Gayborhoods Is Highly Exaggerated
- Mark Your Calendars, New Yorkers
- Twinks Rule In These 10 Cities Around The World
- PHOTOS: Mile High Immersive Dinner Theater Lands In NYC’s Lower East Side
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSLondon New York City Pride GayCities pride haus Las Vegas Theater travel Photos Chicago Fire Island New York gay travel San Francisco party haus Miami Marriage Equality Los Angeles Jeffrey James Keyes Washington DC
PHOTOS: Adorable Couple Enjoys Romantic Getaway In The Fire Island Pines
Jun 17, 2014 by GayCities
Since the season is here, we thought it would be fun to follow a New York City couple, Adam Hostler and Jean-Paul Morales, on that gay ritual: A summer getaway to Fire Island, in this case The Madison Fire Island Pines.
Adam and Jean-Paul are both actors working in New York City. They were ready for a quick getaway and while Adam has spent a great deal of time up in Provincetown during the past few summers, Fire Island is the perfect option for a quick escape.
Adam and Jean-Paul went over their travel options at Penn Station. From May 24 to September 1 the Long Island Railroad offers a Fire Island Pines Getaway Package including a discounted LIRR Off Peak round trip ticket, ferry and colonial taxis.
The guys ended up taking a 9:22am train on the Long Island Railroad from Penn Station to Sayville, New York with a quick transfer in Babylon. They arrived in Sayville just before 11:00am.
In Sayville a shuttle bus picked the guys up and dropped them off at the Sayville Ferry Dock in order to catch the 11:30am ferry to the Pines. There’s an adorable bar/restaurant at the ferry dock with boats leaving to the Pines and Cherry Grove throughout the season. The ferry schedule changes periodically, current schedules to the Pines are available here.
The ferry is usually packed with guys heading out to the big party weekends (Ascension, The Pines Party, Black Out, and Independence Day) but a quick escape during the week is a perfect summer getaway and an ideal opportunity to relax by the pool and catch some sun. The guys were surprised at how much room there was on the ferry on an off-season day. “The last time I came out was over the Black Out Weekend last season,” commented Jean-Paul, “you couldn’t even get a seat on the ferry.”