- Winter wonderland: seven hotspots to hit the slopes this winter
- The world’s 12 gayest hot spots to ring in the New Year
- Wanna get away? Hit one of these sultry gay beaches this winter
- 9 ways San Francisco created hippie–then hipster–fashions for the world to enjoy
- PHOTOS: And the winners of the 2016 ‘Best Of GayCities’ awards are…
- PHOTOS: The annual Santa Speedo Run holiday tradition lives on
- What’s the best up-and-coming gay city in the world? You decide.
- What Is The Gayest ‘Hood In The World? You Decide.
- They Go Low, We Give $$: Ten Great LGBTQ Charities To Support In Desperate Times
- 5 Great Las Vegas Shopping Malls That Won’t Break The Bank (Unless You Want To)
- Here are the winners of two special Best of GayCities, 2016, honors…
- What Is The Gayest City In The World In 2016?
- What Are Your Favorite Travel Mementoes? We Have 4 To Check Out
- Oakland & Silicon Valley: Top Day Trips From San Francisco
- Honeymoon Travel: Top 5 Things To Know When Planning The Big Trip
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSTheater Fire Island gay travel Washington DC Marriage Equality Pride Los Angeles Chicago New York pride haus Las Vegas Photos Jeffrey James Keyes travel London San Francisco GayCities party haus New York City Miami
An Animated Guide To Surviving New Year’s Eve Celebrations
Dec 30, 2013
The good news about going hard on New Year’s Eve is you can spin it any way you want. It’s either a magical night foretelling bigger and better things to come, or a disastrous mess that means life can only go uphill in the new year. Still, we’d like all of you to have the former. So here’s 8 tips for surviving NYE and successfully turning the page to 2014.
To create your own NYE experience, check out the GayCities NYE guide.
1. Pace yourself.
Don’t be that guy who falls asleep because he couldn’t stop downing Moscow mules at 9:30.
2. Staying in isn’t a sin.
If all the NYE hype (this post included) makes you gag, consider gathering some of your closest friends for a small party at home. It’s cheaper and more intimate. Just don’t be boring. Turn off the Times Square ball drop and do some shots.
3. Be unapologetic.
If your friends try to wrangle you into some lame houseparty and you’d rather be covered in other peoples’ sweat, go for it. This is your year, damn-it. No need to justify.
4. Focus on the future.
No, you didn’t get that promotion. Yes, you gained 15 pounds. Don’t get hung up; life’s full of disappointment. Keep your goals on the horizon and remember nobody’s perfect. Ever. So get over it and have fun.
5. If you need to puke, puke rainbows.
On any other night you’d be cabbing it home about now. NYE comes but once a year, so buck up, find some listerine and get back on that saddle, champ.
6. Let go.
We spend so much time worrying about what other people think of us. Start off the new year with a fresh outlook and just do you to the fullest. You’ll be surprised what can happen when you shed your insecurities.
7. Don’t be afraid to go stag.
You’re single on NYE. Again. It happens. That’s no excuse not to enter the new year proud and confident.
8. Just because you came stag doesn’t mean you should leave stag.
Use that midnight kiss to be bold and finally approach the guy you’ve been eyeing all night. Could turn into the best New Year’s Day you’ve ever had.