- Kiss & Tell: These Photos Of Same Love Speak A Thousand Words
- PHOTOS: Miss Fame And The New Crop Of Ru Girls Live It Up At The Diamond Horseshoe
- The Love That Never Stops Speaking Its Name
- Take A “Looking” Tour Of San Francisco With Seven Hotspots
- These Photos Of Same-Sex Love Show Why We Are Changing The World Every Day
- Kiss & Tell: Show Us Your Love Pics And Win A Trip To San Francisco
- PHOTOS: It’s All Leather And Fur For These Fashion Week Models
- We Love The Nightlife! Shake Your Groove Thing And Party Like A Rock Star in L.A.
- GayCities Kiss Photo Contest: Hit It, Submit It & Win A Trip To San Francisco
- Don’t Miss These Unique, Off-The-Beaten-Path Gems of Los Angeles
- Paradise Found: San Francisco May Be Getting Its Very Own Leather-Themed Park
- It’s A Sunshine Day! Here Are Some Of Our Favorite Ways To Enjoy The Los Angeles Outdoors
- Ten Kisses That Changed The World
- George Takei Is Heading To Broadway
- Treat Yourself To A Luxurious And Romantic Hilltop Retreat
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSLas Vegas party haus Theater pride haus San Francisco Pride Fire Island Washington DC Photos Los Angeles GayCities travel New York City Miami benefit haus Jeffrey James Keyes Marriage Equality New York London Chicago
An Animated Guide To Surviving New Year’s Eve Celebrations
Dec 30, 2013
The good news about going hard on New Year’s Eve is you can spin it any way you want. It’s either a magical night foretelling bigger and better things to come, or a disastrous mess that means life can only go uphill in the new year. Still, we’d like all of you to have the former. So here’s 8 tips for surviving NYE and successfully turning the page to 2014.
To create your own NYE experience, check out the GayCities NYE guide.
1. Pace yourself.
Don’t be that guy who falls asleep because he couldn’t stop downing Moscow mules at 9:30.
2. Staying in isn’t a sin.
If all the NYE hype (this post included) makes you gag, consider gathering some of your closest friends for a small party at home. It’s cheaper and more intimate. Just don’t be boring. Turn off the Times Square ball drop and do some shots.
3. Be unapologetic.
If your friends try to wrangle you into some lame houseparty and you’d rather be covered in other peoples’ sweat, go for it. This is your year, damn-it. No need to justify.
4. Focus on the future.
No, you didn’t get that promotion. Yes, you gained 15 pounds. Don’t get hung up; life’s full of disappointment. Keep your goals on the horizon and remember nobody’s perfect. Ever. So get over it and have fun.
5. If you need to puke, puke rainbows.
On any other night you’d be cabbing it home about now. NYE comes but once a year, so buck up, find some listerine and get back on that saddle, champ.
6. Let go.
We spend so much time worrying about what other people think of us. Start off the new year with a fresh outlook and just do you to the fullest. You’ll be surprised what can happen when you shed your insecurities.
7. Don’t be afraid to go stag.
You’re single on NYE. Again. It happens. That’s no excuse not to enter the new year proud and confident.
8. Just because you came stag doesn’t mean you should leave stag.
Use that midnight kiss to be bold and finally approach the guy you’ve been eyeing all night. Could turn into the best New Year’s Day you’ve ever had.