- Everything You Need To Know To Live The Gay Fantasy At Burning Man
- PHOTOS: The Men of Fire Island Rise for Ascension 2014
- And The Winning #EqualityInColor Pride Photo Is…
- A Glimpse into the World of Montreal Photographer Jean-François Portelance
- PHOTOS: 16 Reasons To Get Into The Gay Games
- The 8 Best Clothing-Optional Resorts To Satisfy Your Inner Nudist
- PHOTOS: Behind the Scenes with the Montreal’s Showgirls, GoGo Dancers, and DJs
- PHOTOS: Glamberts Glitter In Briefs At LA Pool Party
- PHOTOS: Is Amsterdam’s Canal Parade The Most Festive Pride On The Planet?
- Montreal Gays Sound Off On What Makes Them Special!
- Gays Are Winning The Culture War And Here’s Why
- Tom Waddell Created The Gay Games To Change The World. His Dream Is Coming True
- PHOTOS: Stoli Guys Of The South
- Explore Dublin, London And Paris With The Spirit of Oscar Wilde
- PHOTOS: Montréal Prepares for the Biggest Divers/Cité Yet
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSLondon party haus Photos Marriage Equality GayCities Fire Island New York City benefit haus Miami travel New York Las Vegas pride haus San Francisco Washington DC Pride Los Angeles Chicago Theater Jeffrey James Keyes
PHOTOS: The Eiffel Tower Totes Went Gay For Nelson Mandela
Jul 15, 2013 by GayCities
PHOTOS: In celebration of Bastille Day on Sunday, the Eiffel Tower was aglow in rainbow, which many interpreted as an homage to the recently-passed marriage equality law. Not so, says Paris mayor Bertrand Delanoë, who told the French blog Yagg that the rainbow was a tribute to Nelson Mandela, the former president of South Africa — known as the “rainbow nation.”
Mandela, who turns 95 on Thursday, has spent the last five weeks in the hospital for a lung infection, though he is reportedly improving.
The light show did come with a message of equality, however, with voiceovers noting that “every human being is a shade of this rainbow palette.” That didn’t sit too well with France’s gay marriage opponents, some of whom called for the resignation of President François Hollande. And somewhere, some shirtless French boys got so mad they probably started making out with each other.
You know, out of righteous indignation and whatever.
h/t: Huff Po