- PHOTOS: Leather Daddies Rule The Streets At San Francisco’s Up Your Alley
- You’ll Flip For The Sexy Men’s Swimwear At Miami Beach Fashion Week
- WATCH: Two Cute Guys Ride To Luxury Hotel For A Surprise Challenge
- PHOTOS: Fifteen Things We Love About NYC Pride 2015
- Get Your Marriage On At These Five Perfect San Francisco Places
- Seven Tips To Surviving & Thriving At San Francisco Pride
- Here Are Eight Awesome Can’t Miss NYC Pride Events
- Love Conquers All For These Gorgeous LGBT Globetrotters
- The Queens Fought Back And Won. Now The Stonewall Inn Wins Historic Landmark Designation
- Nick Adams, Laverne Cox, Bianca Del Rio Celebrate The Top Bottoms Of Broadway Bares
- Five Things We Love About New York Pride
- PHOTOS: Decades Of Pride In Amazing Images
- PHOTOS: The World’s Best Nude Beaches, 2015 Edition
- Five Amazing Off The Beaten Path Prides To Check Out
- Eat Your Heart Out Mark Twain: San Francisco Is Set For Another Glorious Summer
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSJeffrey James Keyes Marriage Equality Fire Island San Francisco Los Angeles benefit haus Washington DC Theater Pride pride haus Photos New York City New York Las Vegas Chicago London GayCities travel party haus Miami
PHOTOS: The Eiffel Tower Totes Went Gay For Nelson Mandela
Jul 15, 2013
PHOTOS: In celebration of Bastille Day on Sunday, the Eiffel Tower was aglow in rainbow, which many interpreted as an homage to the recently-passed marriage equality law. Not so, says Paris mayor Bertrand Delanoë, who told the French blog Yagg that the rainbow was a tribute to Nelson Mandela, the former president of South Africa — known as the “rainbow nation.”
Mandela, who turns 95 on Thursday, has spent the last five weeks in the hospital for a lung infection, though he is reportedly improving.
The light show did come with a message of equality, however, with voiceovers noting that “every human being is a shade of this rainbow palette.” That didn’t sit too well with France’s gay marriage opponents, some of whom called for the resignation of President François Hollande. And somewhere, some shirtless French boys got so mad they probably started making out with each other.
You know, out of righteous indignation and whatever.
h/t: Huff Po