- Six Queer Promposals That Will Light Up Your Life
- Vintage Pics From Waikiki’s Gay Beaches Prove That Speedos Never Go Out Of Style
- PHOTOS: These Vintage Gay Pride Photos Are Absolutely Everything
- PHOTOS: Andrew Rannells Celebrates Model Behavior Backstage At Jeffrey Fashion Cares
- PHOTOS: Hunky Jesus Contest Brings Beloved Sacrilege Back To San Francisco
- Fit For A Queen: The Lavish ’70s Palm Springs Home That Time Forgot
- The Gay Easter Parade Hops Through The French Quarter In New Orleans
- PHOTOS: Raided Legendary LA Club Brought Back To Life In Remarkable Images
- More LGBT People Are Moving To “Red” States
- PHOTOS: Inside The Fabulous Launch Party For Queerty’s New “Going Places” Web Series
- PHOTOS: 12 Extraordinary Kisses To Remember Valentine’s Day
- Closeted Married Men, Gay Vets, And Tap-Dancing Lesbians: 10 Juicy Winter Reading Recommendations
- Queerty’s V-Day Kiss Photo Contest: Hit It, Submit It & Win
- A Portland Feminist Explains How To Drink The World’s Best Beer Like A Woman
- 5 Nightlife Gems You Can Only Find In Portland
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSparty haus New York benefit haus Theater Marriage Equality travel New York City Washington DC pride haus Miami Los Angeles Jeffrey James Keyes Fire Island London Las Vegas Photos Chicago Pride GayCities San Francisco
PHOTOS: The Eiffel Tower Totes Went Gay For Nelson Mandela
Jul 15, 2013
PHOTOS: In celebration of Bastille Day on Sunday, the Eiffel Tower was aglow in rainbow, which many interpreted as an homage to the recently-passed marriage equality law. Not so, says Paris mayor Bertrand Delanoë, who told the French blog Yagg that the rainbow was a tribute to Nelson Mandela, the former president of South Africa — known as the “rainbow nation.”
Mandela, who turns 95 on Thursday, has spent the last five weeks in the hospital for a lung infection, though he is reportedly improving.
The light show did come with a message of equality, however, with voiceovers noting that “every human being is a shade of this rainbow palette.” That didn’t sit too well with France’s gay marriage opponents, some of whom called for the resignation of President François Hollande. And somewhere, some shirtless French boys got so mad they probably started making out with each other.
You know, out of righteous indignation and whatever.
h/t: Huff Po