- Vote Now And Help One Of These Stoli Guy Finalists Win $10,000
- PHOTOS: Queer Pokémon Fans Stun Straight Nerds, Invade Massive PAX Convention
- The Five Kinkiest Cities In America
- Your 2014 Mr. Gay World Is A Super Hot Dance Teacher From The UK
- Everything You Need To Know To Live The Gay Fantasy At Burning Man
- PHOTOS: The Men of Fire Island Rise for Ascension 2014
- And The Winning #EqualityInColor Pride Photo Is…
- A Glimpse into the World of Montreal Photographer Jean-François Portelance
- PHOTOS: 16 Reasons To Get Into The Gay Games
- The 8 Best Clothing-Optional Resorts To Satisfy Your Inner Nudist
- PHOTOS: Behind the Scenes with the Montreal’s Showgirls, GoGo Dancers, and DJs
- PHOTOS: Glamberts Glitter In Briefs At LA Pool Party
- PHOTOS: Is Amsterdam’s Canal Parade The Most Festive Pride On The Planet?
- Montreal Gays Sound Off On What Makes Them Special!
- Gays Are Winning The Culture War And Here’s Why
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSWashington DC Jeffrey James Keyes Photos travel Marriage Equality pride haus Theater Pride Miami Los Angeles Fire Island benefit haus London Chicago GayCities San Francisco New York City party haus New York Las Vegas
PHOTOS: The Eiffel Tower Totes Went Gay For Nelson Mandela
Jul 15, 2013 by GayCities
PHOTOS: In celebration of Bastille Day on Sunday, the Eiffel Tower was aglow in rainbow, which many interpreted as an homage to the recently-passed marriage equality law. Not so, says Paris mayor Bertrand Delanoë, who told the French blog Yagg that the rainbow was a tribute to Nelson Mandela, the former president of South Africa — known as the “rainbow nation.”
Mandela, who turns 95 on Thursday, has spent the last five weeks in the hospital for a lung infection, though he is reportedly improving.
The light show did come with a message of equality, however, with voiceovers noting that “every human being is a shade of this rainbow palette.” That didn’t sit too well with France’s gay marriage opponents, some of whom called for the resignation of President François Hollande. And somewhere, some shirtless French boys got so mad they probably started making out with each other.
You know, out of righteous indignation and whatever.
h/t: Huff Po