- We Are In Kansas City For the World Series, And It’s Pretty Darn Gay
- Ten Things You Should Know About Gay Bars From A Castro Bartender
- Meanwhile in London… 12 UK Gay Scene DJs You Should Get To Know
- PHOTOS: Gays in the Military Exhibition
- A Deep Dive Into Identities Of Queer Teens
- Interview: Jackie Beat On The Facebook Drag War, Safe Sex & San Francisco
- PHOTOS: Vampire Dandies and Alien Princesses Take the Stage at Bowieball 2014
- PHOTOS: Sin Is In At This Year’s Hustlaball
- Trick And Treat At The Ultimate Halloween Party
- PHOTOS: Brent Corrigan And Friends Star At Austin’s LGBT Film Fest
- 8 Great Reads To Scratch Your Literary Itch This Fall
- 5 Reasons The Death Of Gayborhoods Is Highly Exaggerated
- Mark Your Calendars, New Yorkers
- Twinks Rule In These 10 Cities Around The World
- PHOTOS: Mile High Immersive Dinner Theater Lands In NYC’s Lower East Side
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSPhotos travel Theater Jeffrey James Keyes Pride New York party haus Los Angeles pride haus gay travel Chicago GayCities San Francisco Miami Marriage Equality Las Vegas Fire Island Washington DC London New York City
PHOTOS: The Eiffel Tower Totes Went Gay For Nelson Mandela
Jul 15, 2013 by GayCities
PHOTOS: In celebration of Bastille Day on Sunday, the Eiffel Tower was aglow in rainbow, which many interpreted as an homage to the recently-passed marriage equality law. Not so, says Paris mayor Bertrand Delanoë, who told the French blog Yagg that the rainbow was a tribute to Nelson Mandela, the former president of South Africa — known as the “rainbow nation.”
Mandela, who turns 95 on Thursday, has spent the last five weeks in the hospital for a lung infection, though he is reportedly improving.
The light show did come with a message of equality, however, with voiceovers noting that “every human being is a shade of this rainbow palette.” That didn’t sit too well with France’s gay marriage opponents, some of whom called for the resignation of President François Hollande. And somewhere, some shirtless French boys got so mad they probably started making out with each other.
You know, out of righteous indignation and whatever.
h/t: Huff Po