- Bet You Don’t Know This About The Castro’s Fabulous New Sidewalks
- Win An Incredible Vacation To San Francisco For Pride & Much More
- Dan Savage On How To Make A Crowd-Pleasing NSFW Video
- 10 Spring Reading Recommendations For All You Sexy Book Nerds
- Brent Everett’s Real-Life “Throuple” Relationship Inspired A Romance Novel
- 12 Amazing Ways To Enjoy San Francisco (Including The Hunky Jesus Contest)
- 13 Guaranteed Ways To Fail At Picking Up Someone Up At A Bar From A Castro Bartender
- The Fast And The Fabulous: Gay Couple Enjoys Ride Of Their Lives On Their Own Private Speedway
- Kiss & Tell: These Photos Of Same Love Speak A Thousand Words
- PHOTOS: Miss Fame And The New Crop Of Ru Girls Live It Up At The Diamond Horseshoe
- The Love That Never Stops Speaking Its Name
- Take A “Looking” Tour Of San Francisco With Seven Hotspots
- These Photos Of Same-Sex Love Show Why We Are Changing The World Every Day
- Kiss & Tell: Show Us Your Love Pics And Win A Trip To San Francisco
- PHOTOS: It’s All Leather And Fur For These Fashion Week Models
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSJeffrey James Keyes Washington DC London pride haus party haus Theater San Francisco GayCities Chicago New York City Pride travel Las Vegas Fire Island Miami New York Los Angeles Marriage Equality Photos benefit haus
PHOTOS: The Eiffel Tower Totes Went Gay For Nelson Mandela
Jul 15, 2013
PHOTOS: In celebration of Bastille Day on Sunday, the Eiffel Tower was aglow in rainbow, which many interpreted as an homage to the recently-passed marriage equality law. Not so, says Paris mayor Bertrand Delanoë, who told the French blog Yagg that the rainbow was a tribute to Nelson Mandela, the former president of South Africa — known as the “rainbow nation.”
Mandela, who turns 95 on Thursday, has spent the last five weeks in the hospital for a lung infection, though he is reportedly improving.
The light show did come with a message of equality, however, with voiceovers noting that “every human being is a shade of this rainbow palette.” That didn’t sit too well with France’s gay marriage opponents, some of whom called for the resignation of President François Hollande. And somewhere, some shirtless French boys got so mad they probably started making out with each other.
You know, out of righteous indignation and whatever.
h/t: Huff Po