- We Are In Kansas City For the World Series, And It’s Pretty Darn Gay
- Ten Things You Should Know About Gay Bars From A Castro Bartender
- Meanwhile in London… 12 UK Gay Scene DJs You Should Get To Know
- PHOTOS: Gays in the Military Exhibition
- A Deep Dive Into Identities Of Queer Teens
- Interview: Jackie Beat On The Facebook Drag War, Safe Sex & San Francisco
- PHOTOS: Vampire Dandies and Alien Princesses Take the Stage at Bowieball 2014
- PHOTOS: Sin Is In At This Year’s Hustlaball
- Trick And Treat At The Ultimate Halloween Party
- PHOTOS: Brent Corrigan And Friends Star At Austin’s LGBT Film Fest
- 8 Great Reads To Scratch Your Literary Itch This Fall
- 5 Reasons The Death Of Gayborhoods Is Highly Exaggerated
- Mark Your Calendars, New Yorkers
- Twinks Rule In These 10 Cities Around The World
- PHOTOS: Mile High Immersive Dinner Theater Lands In NYC’s Lower East Side
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSTheater GayCities pride haus gay travel Los Angeles Jeffrey James Keyes travel Marriage Equality Miami New York City Fire Island New York Las Vegas Photos Chicago San Francisco Washington DC London party haus Pride
The Pink Carpet: Guide to gay Oscar (party) buzz
Mar 02, 2010 by Dan Tracer
The Academy Awards, like our friends Lady Bunny and Hedda Lettuce, have a tendency to drag. The difference is there’s no amount of lipstick or feathers that can save you from a prolonged speech by the winner of best documentary, short subject. The trick to getting through these inevitable downers in order to catch moments like this is simple: band together. Gather your friends (vodka and tonic), huddle around the TV and give that documentary producer their deserved respect–by talking about what Sandra Bullock is wearing. In case you’re looking for even more charm come Oscar night, we’ve lined up the short list of extra special gay parties, all featuring plenty of vodka & tonic:
San Francisco: Academy of Friends — For a taste of Oscar glam by the Bay, the Academy of Friends gala at Fort Mason is the closest you’ll get to rubbing elbows with the biz without crashing the Vanity Fair party in West Hollywood. Enjoy gourmet food and drink from some of SF’s top restaurants, and give yourself an excuse to shop for some serious wardrobe items. The ticket price is steep, but proceeds benefit local HIV/AIDS organizations.
Austin: Driskill Oscar Party — Enjoy the awards from the opulent Driskill Hotel at this bash hosted by the Austin Gay and Lesbian Film Festival. You can opt for general admission or spring for a pricier ticket that will get you a three course meal before the telecast. The event helps fund the film festival and a portion of the proceeds go to the Paul Kirby Fund at AIDS Services of Austin. You get a chance to doll up and do good all in one night.
Seattle: Purr Oscar Party — Head to Purr Cocktail Lounge on Capitol Hill for a casual Oscar fiesta. Grab a margarita, order some nachos and cheer on Meryl Streep all at the same time. Screw the black tie affairs–you’re in Seattle.
Los Angeles: Viewing Party @ East|West — Get close to the action by attending this party at the beautiful East|West Lounge in West Hollywood. B-list celebrities (our favorite kind) and plenty of booze are safe assumptions. Kudos if you remember who actually won the next morning.
(Photo by Alan Light)