- Diary Of A Bad Date, But An Amazing Meal, At Otto Pizzeria in Las Vegas
- PHOTOS: It Was All Skin & Leather And Little Else At Folsom Street Fair
- Two Guys Hit The Open Road To Relive James Dean’s Last Day
- 5 Ways You Made GayCities The Most Popular LGBTQ Travel Site
- The Sexiest WeHo Lounge May Actually Be Restoration Hardware
- A ‘Showgirls’ Obsession, The Luxor, And A Great Gay Pool Party
- This Year’s Gay Days Weekend At Disney Will Be The Most Thrilling Yet
- PHOTOS: See Why Fubar’s “BFD” Party Thrives After 13 Consecutive Years
- Your Guide To The Debauchery Otherwise Know As Folsom Street Fair, 2015
- PHOTOS: Cute Club Goers Get Freaky In Frankfurt
- Alec Mapa Talks Cruises, Comedians And His “French” Family
- Drag Theatre Puts The ‘Camp’ In LA’s Fabulous Casita Del Campo
- The Great Gay Invasion Of DTLA Has Begun
- Why Hiking The Southern California Mountains Is Having A Gay Moment
- Lady Gaga Tumbles, Willam Belli Is A Lady At Pump WeHo
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSMiami Las Vegas Photos Chicago Los Angeles travel Marriage Equality New York London party haus Theater New York City Fire Island Pride Jeffrey James Keyes pride haus Washington DC benefit haus San Francisco GayCities
The Pink Carpet: Guide to gay Oscar (party) buzz
Mar 02, 2010
The Academy Awards, like our friends Lady Bunny and Hedda Lettuce, have a tendency to drag. The difference is there’s no amount of lipstick or feathers that can save you from a prolonged speech by the winner of best documentary, short subject. The trick to getting through these inevitable downers in order to catch moments like this is simple: band together. Gather your friends (vodka and tonic), huddle around the TV and give that documentary producer their deserved respect–by talking about what Sandra Bullock is wearing. In case you’re looking for even more charm come Oscar night, we’ve lined up the short list of extra special gay parties, all featuring plenty of vodka & tonic:
San Francisco: Academy of Friends — For a taste of Oscar glam by the Bay, the Academy of Friends gala at Fort Mason is the closest you’ll get to rubbing elbows with the biz without crashing the Vanity Fair party in West Hollywood. Enjoy gourmet food and drink from some of SF’s top restaurants, and give yourself an excuse to shop for some serious wardrobe items. The ticket price is steep, but proceeds benefit local HIV/AIDS organizations.
Austin: Driskill Oscar Party — Enjoy the awards from the opulent Driskill Hotel at this bash hosted by the Austin Gay and Lesbian Film Festival. You can opt for general admission or spring for a pricier ticket that will get you a three course meal before the telecast. The event helps fund the film festival and a portion of the proceeds go to the Paul Kirby Fund at AIDS Services of Austin. You get a chance to doll up and do good all in one night.
Seattle: Purr Oscar Party — Head to Purr Cocktail Lounge on Capitol Hill for a casual Oscar fiesta. Grab a margarita, order some nachos and cheer on Meryl Streep all at the same time. Screw the black tie affairs–you’re in Seattle.
Los Angeles: Viewing Party @ East|West — Get close to the action by attending this party at the beautiful East|West Lounge in West Hollywood. B-list celebrities (our favorite kind) and plenty of booze are safe assumptions. Kudos if you remember who actually won the next morning.
(Photo by Alan Light)