- 12 Amazing Ways To Enjoy San Francisco (Including The Hunky Jesus Contest)
- The Fast And The Fabulous: Gay Couple Enjoys Ride Of Their Lives On Their Own Private Speedway
- Kiss & Tell: These Photos Of Same Love Speak A Thousand Words
- PHOTOS: Miss Fame And The New Crop Of Ru Girls Live It Up At The Diamond Horseshoe
- The Love That Never Stops Speaking Its Name
- Take A “Looking” Tour Of San Francisco With Seven Hotspots
- These Photos Of Same-Sex Love Show Why We Are Changing The World Every Day
- Kiss & Tell: Show Us Your Love Pics And Win A Trip To San Francisco
- PHOTOS: It’s All Leather And Fur For These Fashion Week Models
- We Love The Nightlife! Shake Your Groove Thing And Party Like A Rock Star in L.A.
- GayCities Kiss Photo Contest: Hit It, Submit It & Win A Trip To San Francisco
- Don’t Miss These Unique, Off-The-Beaten-Path Gems of Los Angeles
- Paradise Found: San Francisco May Be Getting Its Very Own Leather-Themed Park
- It’s A Sunshine Day! Here Are Some Of Our Favorite Ways To Enjoy The Los Angeles Outdoors
- Ten Kisses That Changed The World
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSpride haus Las Vegas New York Fire Island Miami Los Angeles San Francisco party haus New York City travel Photos Washington DC GayCities Theater Jeffrey James Keyes Pride Chicago London Marriage Equality benefit haus
The Pink Carpet: Guide to gay Oscar (party) buzz
Mar 02, 2010
The Academy Awards, like our friends Lady Bunny and Hedda Lettuce, have a tendency to drag. The difference is there’s no amount of lipstick or feathers that can save you from a prolonged speech by the winner of best documentary, short subject. The trick to getting through these inevitable downers in order to catch moments like this is simple: band together. Gather your friends (vodka and tonic), huddle around the TV and give that documentary producer their deserved respect–by talking about what Sandra Bullock is wearing. In case you’re looking for even more charm come Oscar night, we’ve lined up the short list of extra special gay parties, all featuring plenty of vodka & tonic:
San Francisco: Academy of Friends — For a taste of Oscar glam by the Bay, the Academy of Friends gala at Fort Mason is the closest you’ll get to rubbing elbows with the biz without crashing the Vanity Fair party in West Hollywood. Enjoy gourmet food and drink from some of SF’s top restaurants, and give yourself an excuse to shop for some serious wardrobe items. The ticket price is steep, but proceeds benefit local HIV/AIDS organizations.
Austin: Driskill Oscar Party — Enjoy the awards from the opulent Driskill Hotel at this bash hosted by the Austin Gay and Lesbian Film Festival. You can opt for general admission or spring for a pricier ticket that will get you a three course meal before the telecast. The event helps fund the film festival and a portion of the proceeds go to the Paul Kirby Fund at AIDS Services of Austin. You get a chance to doll up and do good all in one night.
Seattle: Purr Oscar Party — Head to Purr Cocktail Lounge on Capitol Hill for a casual Oscar fiesta. Grab a margarita, order some nachos and cheer on Meryl Streep all at the same time. Screw the black tie affairs–you’re in Seattle.
Los Angeles: Viewing Party @ East|West — Get close to the action by attending this party at the beautiful East|West Lounge in West Hollywood. B-list celebrities (our favorite kind) and plenty of booze are safe assumptions. Kudos if you remember who actually won the next morning.
(Photo by Alan Light)