- 5 Can’t Miss Things To Enjoy In Provincetown
- Puerto Madero is Buenos Aries answer to travelers seeking chic-waterfront neighborhoods
- Destination Weddings: Top 5 Things To Know Before Saying “I Do”
- 5 Things to enjoy in the Palermo District of Buenos Aires
- Rio de Janeiro: Let the Fun and Games Begin!
- Five Things To Know That Will Help You Get The Most Out Of Japan
- Check Out Downtown Las Vegas, Another World Beyond The Strip
- Seattle: Best American City for Gay Dads?
- Antarctica: Top 5 Tips For the Ultimate White Party
- Pride Season Is Not Over. Orlando Will Hold One Of The Most Important In LGBTQ History.
- Homos, FOMO and the Enduring Appeal of Paris
- PHOTOS: This Charming Texan Was Just Named America’s Top Bartender
- LGBT New Yorkers Celebrate Pride and Resilience At The Center’s Annual Garden Party
- PHOTOS: Instagram Users Respond To Orlando Tragedy In Beautiful And Creative Ways
- PHOTOS: Tributes From Around The World As Thousands Gather To Mourn Orlando Victims
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSLos Angeles Las Vegas Chicago Jeffrey James Keyes New York City Photos Pride GayCities Miami party haus Marriage Equality Washington DC Theater New York Fire Island travel San Francisco pride haus gay travel London
The Pink Carpet: Guide to gay Oscar (party) buzz
Mar 02, 2010
The Academy Awards, like our friends Lady Bunny and Hedda Lettuce, have a tendency to drag. The difference is there’s no amount of lipstick or feathers that can save you from a prolonged speech by the winner of best documentary, short subject. The trick to getting through these inevitable downers in order to catch moments like this is simple: band together. Gather your friends (vodka and tonic), huddle around the TV and give that documentary producer their deserved respect–by talking about what Sandra Bullock is wearing. In case you’re looking for even more charm come Oscar night, we’ve lined up the short list of extra special gay parties, all featuring plenty of vodka & tonic:
San Francisco: Academy of Friends — For a taste of Oscar glam by the Bay, the Academy of Friends gala at Fort Mason is the closest you’ll get to rubbing elbows with the biz without crashing the Vanity Fair party in West Hollywood. Enjoy gourmet food and drink from some of SF’s top restaurants, and give yourself an excuse to shop for some serious wardrobe items. The ticket price is steep, but proceeds benefit local HIV/AIDS organizations.
Austin: Driskill Oscar Party — Enjoy the awards from the opulent Driskill Hotel at this bash hosted by the Austin Gay and Lesbian Film Festival. You can opt for general admission or spring for a pricier ticket that will get you a three course meal before the telecast. The event helps fund the film festival and a portion of the proceeds go to the Paul Kirby Fund at AIDS Services of Austin. You get a chance to doll up and do good all in one night.
Seattle: Purr Oscar Party — Head to Purr Cocktail Lounge on Capitol Hill for a casual Oscar fiesta. Grab a margarita, order some nachos and cheer on Meryl Streep all at the same time. Screw the black tie affairs–you’re in Seattle.
Los Angeles: Viewing Party @ East|West — Get close to the action by attending this party at the beautiful East|West Lounge in West Hollywood. B-list celebrities (our favorite kind) and plenty of booze are safe assumptions. Kudos if you remember who actually won the next morning.
(Photo by Alan Light)