- Packing Light: 10 Worthwhile Weekend Getaways
- PHOTOS: Halloween With The Ghouls Of RuPaul’s Drag Race
- PHOTOS: The Stunning Male Portraits Of David Armstrong Are Remembered
- PHOTOS: Minimal Effort, Maximum Exposure Costumes
- We Are In Kansas City For the World Series, And It’s Pretty Darn Gay
- 10 Things You Should Know About Gay Bars From A Castro Bartender
- 12 UK Gay DJs You Should Get To Know
- PHOTOS: Gays in the Military Exhibition
- A Deep Dive Into Identities Of Queer Teens
- Interview: Jackie Beat On The Facebook Drag War, Safe Sex & San Francisco
- PHOTOS: Vampire Dandies and Alien Princesses Take the Stage at Bowieball 2014
- PHOTOS: Sin Is In At This Year’s Hustlaball
- Trick And Treat At The Ultimate Halloween Party
- PHOTOS: Brent Corrigan And Friends Star At Austin’s LGBT Film Fest
- 8 Great Reads To Scratch Your Literary Itch This Fall
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSLas Vegas party haus Marriage Equality Jeffrey James Keyes gay travel GayCities Miami London Theater New York City Los Angeles travel Pride New York Chicago pride haus Fire Island San Francisco Photos Washington DC
New York’s Fire Island Bans Nude Sunbathing
Feb 27, 2013 by GayCities
A longtime vacation mecca for New York’s gay community is ordering folks to cover up: Park officials on Fire Island have announced nude sunbathing will not be tolerated when the season begins later this spring.
There has been a ban on public nudity on the 32-mile-long barrier island for decades, but its been widely ignored.
But that’s changed in the wake of complaints about public sex, masturbation, prostitution and even assault. Additionally, super-storm Sandy wiped out a lot of the island’s dunes, which offered a measure of privacy.
“We’ve been struggling to make it work because Fire Island has a history of that type of use and people have been coming there for years,” Fire Island chief ranger Koschmann told Newsday. “The more we talked about it and researched it, the more we realized that that use wasn’t compatible with an area like Lighthouse Beach.”