- Everything You Need To Know To Live The Gay Fantasy At Burning Man
- PHOTOS: The Men of Fire Island Rise for Ascension 2014
- And The Winning #EqualityInColor Pride Photo Is…
- A Glimpse into the World of Montreal Photographer Jean-François Portelance
- PHOTOS: 16 Reasons To Get Into The Gay Games
- The 8 Best Clothing-Optional Resorts To Satisfy Your Inner Nudist
- PHOTOS: Behind the Scenes with the Montreal’s Showgirls, GoGo Dancers, and DJs
- PHOTOS: Glamberts Glitter In Briefs At LA Pool Party
- PHOTOS: Is Amsterdam’s Canal Parade The Most Festive Pride On The Planet?
- Montreal Gays Sound Off On What Makes Them Special!
- Gays Are Winning The Culture War And Here’s Why
- Tom Waddell Created The Gay Games To Change The World. His Dream Is Coming True
- PHOTOS: Stoli Guys Of The South
- Explore Dublin, London And Paris With The Spirit of Oscar Wilde
- PHOTOS: Montréal Prepares for the Biggest Divers/Cité Yet
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSFire Island Las Vegas New York Marriage Equality benefit haus Chicago San Francisco Pride Jeffrey James Keyes Washington DC travel New York City Miami GayCities pride haus Los Angeles Theater London Photos party haus
Anderson Cooper To Be Honored At 24th Annual GLAAD Media Awards
Feb 21, 2013 by GayCities
Award-winning journalist and noted silver fox Anderson Cooper will be honored with the Vito Russo Award at the 24th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York on March 16.
The Vito Russo Award, named after the legendary HIV/AIDS activist and GLAAD co-founder, is presented to an openly lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender media professional who has made a significant difference in promoting equality. Previous honorees include Ricky Martin, Rosie O’Donnell and Elton John.
“By sharing his own experiences as a gay man, Anderson has reminded millions of Americans that LGBT people are part of their everyday lives and an integral part of our cultural fabric,” said GLAAD President Herndon Graddick. “He continues to raise the bar and set a new standard for journalists everywhere, and I’m proud to call him a friend.”
Cooper has received seven GLAAD Media Award nominations, and snatched three trophies, for his advocacy and coverage of the LGBT community, which includes a wide range of subjects from bullying of LGBT youth to families supporting their transgender children and the dangers of “ex-gay conversion therapy.”
Good Morning America anchors Lara Spencer, Josh Elliott, and newlywed Sam Champion will host the GLAAD Media Awards next month at the New York Marriott Marquis.
Elliott got emotional at last year’s ceremony when he talked about his gay dad, video of which can be seen below.
Additional ceremonies will be held in Los Angeles on April 20 at the JW Marriott; and in San Francisco on May 11 at the Hilton San Francisco – Union Square. Special honorees for each city will be announced in the coming weeks. For tickets and a full list of nominees, click here.