- PHOTOS: San Francisco’s “Up Your Alley” Street Fair Makes Folsom Look Tame
- Eleven Types Of Gay Bars And Why They Matter More Than Ever
- 12 Can’t-Miss Hits To Enjoy In The City Of Angels
- Want To Win A Stay In The Most Luxurious Hotel In Sultry New Orleans? Here’s How.
- PHOTOS: These Sexy Men Love To Strip Down For A Little Pup Play
- Gay Photographer Minor White’s Stunning Work Is Celebrated In New Retrospective
- 11 Great Places To Get Your Queer Art Fix In Los Angeles
- PHOTOS: A Rare Glimpse Into San Francisco’s Infamous Fairoaks Bathhouse
- Win A Romantic Trip To Vienna And Become A Video Star
- PHOTOS: The World’s 10 Best Gay Nude Beaches, 2014
- Stoli Guy Kicks Off Tonight: Join Jai Rodriguez For The Event Series Of The Summer
- PHOTOS: Cute Nerds Dominate GaymerX
- PHOTOS: Furries Frolic In San Francisco
- 10 Queer History Spots To Check Out In Los Angeles
- Courts Are Now Falling Over Each Other To Overturn Marriage Bans
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSPhotos Pride travel Miami Washington DC New York City party haus Jeffrey James Keyes Los Angeles Theater New York GayCities Fire Island Chicago pride haus benefit haus Las Vegas Marriage Equality London San Francisco
Anderson Cooper To Be Honored At 24th Annual GLAAD Media Awards
Feb 21, 2013 by gaycities
Award-winning journalist and noted silver fox Anderson Cooper will be honored with the Vito Russo Award at the 24th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York on March 16.
The Vito Russo Award, named after the legendary HIV/AIDS activist and GLAAD co-founder, is presented to an openly lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender media professional who has made a significant difference in promoting equality. Previous honorees include Ricky Martin, Rosie O’Donnell and Elton John.
“By sharing his own experiences as a gay man, Anderson has reminded millions of Americans that LGBT people are part of their everyday lives and an integral part of our cultural fabric,” said GLAAD President Herndon Graddick. “He continues to raise the bar and set a new standard for journalists everywhere, and I’m proud to call him a friend.”
Cooper has received seven GLAAD Media Award nominations, and snatched three trophies, for his advocacy and coverage of the LGBT community, which includes a wide range of subjects from bullying of LGBT youth to families supporting their transgender children and the dangers of “ex-gay conversion therapy.”
Good Morning America anchors Lara Spencer, Josh Elliott, and newlywed Sam Champion will host the GLAAD Media Awards next month at the New York Marriott Marquis.
Elliott got emotional at last year’s ceremony when he talked about his gay dad, video of which can be seen below.
Additional ceremonies will be held in Los Angeles on April 20 at the JW Marriott; and in San Francisco on May 11 at the Hilton San Francisco – Union Square. Special honorees for each city will be announced in the coming weeks. For tickets and a full list of nominees, click here.