- Six Queer Promposals That Will Light Up Your Life
- Vintage Pics From Waikiki’s Gay Beaches Prove That Speedos Never Go Out Of Style
- PHOTOS: These Vintage Gay Pride Photos Are Absolutely Everything
- PHOTOS: Andrew Rannells Celebrates Model Behavior Backstage At Jeffrey Fashion Cares
- PHOTOS: Hunky Jesus Contest Brings Beloved Sacrilege Back To San Francisco
- Fit For A Queen: The Lavish ’70s Palm Springs Home That Time Forgot
- The Gay Easter Parade Hops Through The French Quarter In New Orleans
- PHOTOS: Raided Legendary LA Club Brought Back To Life In Remarkable Images
- More LGBT People Are Moving To “Red” States
- PHOTOS: Inside The Fabulous Launch Party For Queerty’s New “Going Places” Web Series
- PHOTOS: 12 Extraordinary Kisses To Remember Valentine’s Day
- Closeted Married Men, Gay Vets, And Tap-Dancing Lesbians: 10 Juicy Winter Reading Recommendations
- Queerty’s V-Day Kiss Photo Contest: Hit It, Submit It & Win
- A Portland Feminist Explains How To Drink The World’s Best Beer Like A Woman
- 5 Nightlife Gems You Can Only Find In Portland
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSFire Island Chicago Miami San Francisco Marriage Equality pride haus Jeffrey James Keyes Pride New York Photos London party haus GayCities travel benefit haus Los Angeles New York City Washington DC Theater Las Vegas
Berlinale’s Best Bashes: The Parties Not To Miss At The 2013 Berlin International Film Fest
Feb 07, 2013
The first major event of the annual European film calendar kicks off tonight in Berlin with the opening of the 63rd Berlinale, better known as the Berlin International Film Festival.
Always packed with gay content (much of which competes for the esteemed Teddy Awards), the eclectic but high octane fest runs for a busy eleven days this year, with screenings at theaters mostly clustered around Potsdamer Platz in Berlin’s Mitte neighborhood.
But man cannot live on celluloid alone, and wild and wonderful Berlin awaits. So here are our tips for the best Berlinale-related parties happening over the next fortnight or so across the German capital.
Saturday, February 9
Propaganda Meets Berlinale
One of Berlin’s biggest dance parties, the monthly Propaganda club celebrates the film fest right on Nollendorplatz in the city’s historic gayborhood of Schöneberg.
Wednesday, February 13
Hotel Adlon Kempinski
After 26 years, the Teddy Awards are finally adding a lifetime achievement prize to the mix, and it’ll be presented at this black tie dinner and gala for 250 at the schmancy Adlon Kempinski Hotel.
On the fifth anniversary of the birth of John Cameron Mitchell’s infamous Mattachine party (at New York City gay bar Julius), Mitchell and crew (including PJ DeBoy and Paul Dawson from the film Shortbus) bring the first-ever European incarnation of Mattachine to Berlin, at hip mixed/gay karaoke palace Monster Ronson.
Friday, February 15
Teddy Award Gala
As every year, the Berlinale’s blowout gay climax is the Teddy Awards ceremony, presenting what’s been called the most important queer film prize in the world. This year the gala is headlined by Ameri-Canadian chanteur Rufus Wainwright. Tickets are still available here – but act soon, they’re selling fast.