- PHOTOS: Looking’s Frankie Alvarez Helps Raise Funds For LGBT Elders
- 11 Incredible Out Adventures To Experience Before You Die
- French Politicians Are Freaked Over Tabloid Outing Of Gay VP
- The Golden Girls Xmas Drag Show Is All Sorts Of Holiday Magic
- Vote For The 2014 Best Of GayCities And Win A Free Trip For Two
- The Ultimate San Francisco Xmas List
- A Handy Glossary Of Gay Terms For The Well-Meaning Hetty
- 8 Events To Titilate Your Christmas Spirit
- Win A New Year’s Vacation To San Francisco
- World AIDS Day Events Near You
- 30 Things Every Gay Man Must Do Before Turning 30
- PHOTOS: Sexy Crowd Turns It Up For Change At HRC Bash
- PHOTOS: Naughty Pups Get Down And Dirty At The Eagle
- PHOTOS: LGBT Center Event Honors Women’s Right Activists And Politicians
- Twerk At These Thanksgiving Weekend Parties
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSbenefit haus party haus Los Angeles New York Las Vegas pride haus San Francisco Miami Fire Island Photos Pride travel Theater Washington DC Jeffrey James Keyes New York City GayCities London Chicago Marriage Equality
Thousands Join Gay Pride March In Mumbai
Feb 04, 2013
Some 2,000 participants joined a march for LGBT rights in the Indian city of Mumbai on Saturday.
The fifth Queer Azaadi (“Freedom”) March began and ended at the August Revolution Ground, where Gandhi called for Indian independence more than 70 years ago. This time, demonstrators were calling on the Indian government not to overturn the 2009 court decision that decriminalized homosexuality.
Though the group was initially denied permits, organizers met with police and were eventually given permission to march.
“I march as a queer citizen of the world’s largest democracy to let people know that even I exist!,” organizer Pallav Patankar told Gay Star News. “More young people come up on stage and speak about their sexuality, we also had straight allies come up on stage and support us.”
A similar rally was held in Hyderabad, though authorities had also initially refused to allow demonstrators to march.