- Kiss & Tell: These Photos Of Same Love Speak A Thousand Words
- PHOTOS: Miss Fame And The New Crop Of Ru Girls Live It Up At The Diamond Horseshoe
- The Love That Never Stops Speaking Its Name
- Take A “Looking” Tour Of San Francisco With Seven Hotspots
- These Photos Of Same-Sex Love Show Why We Are Changing The World Every Day
- Kiss & Tell: Show Us Your Love Pics And Win A Trip To San Francisco
- PHOTOS: It’s All Leather And Fur For These Fashion Week Models
- We Love The Nightlife! Shake Your Groove Thing And Party Like A Rock Star in L.A.
- GayCities Kiss Photo Contest: Hit It, Submit It & Win A Trip To San Francisco
- Don’t Miss These Unique, Off-The-Beaten-Path Gems of Los Angeles
- Paradise Found: San Francisco May Be Getting Its Very Own Leather-Themed Park
- It’s A Sunshine Day! Here Are Some Of Our Favorite Ways To Enjoy The Los Angeles Outdoors
- Ten Kisses That Changed The World
- George Takei Is Heading To Broadway
- Treat Yourself To A Luxurious And Romantic Hilltop Retreat
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSLondon GayCities Chicago Marriage Equality party haus New York Washington DC benefit haus New York City Theater Jeffrey James Keyes Las Vegas San Francisco Miami Photos travel pride haus Pride Fire Island Los Angeles
Thousands Join Gay Pride March In Mumbai
Feb 04, 2013
Some 2,000 participants joined a march for LGBT rights in the Indian city of Mumbai on Saturday.
The fifth Queer Azaadi (“Freedom”) March began and ended at the August Revolution Ground, where Gandhi called for Indian independence more than 70 years ago. This time, demonstrators were calling on the Indian government not to overturn the 2009 court decision that decriminalized homosexuality.
Though the group was initially denied permits, organizers met with police and were eventually given permission to march.
“I march as a queer citizen of the world’s largest democracy to let people know that even I exist!,” organizer Pallav Patankar told Gay Star News. “More young people come up on stage and speak about their sexuality, we also had straight allies come up on stage and support us.”
A similar rally was held in Hyderabad, though authorities had also initially refused to allow demonstrators to march.