- Behind The Harness: The Extraordinary History Of The Folsom Street Fair
- Last Day To RSVP For The Star-Studded Stoli Guy Finale In New York City
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Philadelphia Winner Mark Has The Charming Personality Of A Superstar
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Los Angeles Winner Robert Showcases His Authentic Tahitian Dancing
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Seattle Winner Sean Choreographs An Inspiring Dance Routine
- PHOTOS: The Boys Go Neon In New York City
- VOTE: Stoli Guy D.C. Winner William Struts His Stuff Like A True Professional
- VOTE: Stoli Guy San Francisco Winner Spencer Shakes What His Mama Gave Him
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Chicago Winner Jon Melts Our Hearts With An Inspiring Performance
- You’re Invited To The Stoli Guy NYC Finale With Betty Who & Blake Skjellerup
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Boston Winner Davy D Puts On A Show-Stopping Performance
- 13 Most Wanted Men: Andy Warhol Created A Scandal At The 1964 World’s Fair
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Fort Lauderdale Winner Michael Has The Entire Package
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Dallas Winner Davidré Dead Drops To The Top
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Denver Winner David Serves A Sickening Stage Presence
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSpride haus San Francisco Fire Island Washington DC GayCities travel New York City party haus London Miami Los Angeles Las Vegas Jeffrey James Keyes Chicago Pride New York benefit haus Marriage Equality Theater Photos
Brooklyn Museum To Exhibit “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier”
Dec 16, 2012 by GayCities
Well, his couture is, anyway—the Brooklyn Museum will be the lone East Coast stop for “The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier,” a traveling exhibit devoted to the outrageous French designer, beginning in October 2013.
Thet international exhibition devoted to the out clothier, spanning his 37-year career and featuring more than 140 couture and ready-to-wear garments that explore Gaultier’s interest in gender transgression, celebrity, sex, multiculturalism and other facets of modern life. It has already shown to huge, adoring crowds at the de Young Museum in San Francisco. The conical bra and corsets Madonna wore during her 1990 Blonde Ambition tour will be on display, as will outfits from Luc Besson’s The Fifth Element and the films of Pedro Almodovar.
“Gaultier’s mastery of the complex technical demands of haute couture is matched only by his rich and unrivaled artistic collaborations,” says Brooklyn Museum Director Arnold L. Lehman. “His unconventional designs, frequently spiked with his sense of whimsy and quixotic humor, reflect the richness of our cultures.”
The show was at San Francisco’s de Young Museum in the spring and summer, and is currently at the Instituto de Cultura in Madrid, before traveling to Rotterdam and Stockholm next year, followed by the Brooklyn Museum on October 25.