- Winter wonderland: seven hotspots to hit the slopes this winter
- The world’s 12 gayest hot spots to ring in the New Year
- Wanna get away? Hit one of these sultry gay beaches this winter
- 9 ways San Francisco created hippie–then hipster–fashions for the world to enjoy
- PHOTOS: And the winners of the 2016 ‘Best Of GayCities’ awards are…
- PHOTOS: The annual Santa Speedo Run holiday tradition lives on
- What’s the best up-and-coming gay city in the world? You decide.
- What Is The Gayest ‘Hood In The World? You Decide.
- They Go Low, We Give $$: Ten Great LGBTQ Charities To Support In Desperate Times
- 5 Great Las Vegas Shopping Malls That Won’t Break The Bank (Unless You Want To)
- Here are the winners of two special Best of GayCities, 2016, honors…
- What Is The Gayest City In The World In 2016?
- What Are Your Favorite Travel Mementoes? We Have 4 To Check Out
- Oakland & Silicon Valley: Top Day Trips From San Francisco
- Honeymoon Travel: Top 5 Things To Know When Planning The Big Trip
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSTheater New York City GayCities Los Angeles Washington DC Fire Island San Francisco Marriage Equality Chicago London Miami Pride travel party haus pride haus gay travel Las Vegas Jeffrey James Keyes New York Photos
On Tour With Rihanna: RiRi Launches 777 Hard In Mexico City
Nov 15, 2012
Wednesday was an arduous day on our whirlwind press tour with Rihanna: Leaving Los Angeles, a crowd of contest winners and media outlets from all over the world piled into buses heading to LAX. While reporters interviewed each other about their favorite Rihanna songs, camera crews strove to document every single thing that went down. (That baggage-claim footage is gonna be stellar)
With some snags here and there we finally made it to the airport to meet up with the #Rihanna777 charter plane—and perhaps the singer herself.
In truth, the plane was a party bus with wings: Cameramen tripped over each other for B-roll, while bloggers tried to tweet on bad connections and contest winners lived their 15 minutes of fame.
But there was still no word if Rihanna would be joining us or meeting up in Mexico. And then boom. RiRi surprised all by appearing out of nowhere with a welcoming scream to her fans and throngs of media.
And, trust, her greeting was reciprocated with thunderous claps and hollers. There was no going back—Rihanna came and conquered every person on that plane.
Fast forward to Wednesday night in Mexico City—that’s where the true test of wills began. Traffic in the city at night was jam-packed as tiny autos maneuvered around massive vehicles and our party-bus convoy. We were promised an open bar before Rihanna went on at 9pm. But it was 8, and the driver said we still had an hour to go. Dios!
But when Ri finally went on at the midsize Plaza Condesa at about 11, fans who sat through CongoRock’s DJ set were hardly disappointed. This is a mini-tour of sorts, but our girl didn’t pull a three-song-and-leave bit. She busted out a greatest-hits set sprinkled with tracks off her new CD, Unapologetic. The Plaza had brilliant acoustics and, despite the global superstar in attendance, never got obscenely packed—allowing diehard fans to sing and dance along. (Click here for a clip from the show)
I have to say, the boys love them some Rihanna in Mexico City, which totally threw off the gaydar. Men singing along to “Umbrella,” and hugging and kissing their hermanos was confusing as heck, but I certainly didn’t mind watching.