- They Go Low, We Give $$: Ten Great LGBTQ Charities To Support In Desperate Times
- 5 Great Las Vegas Shopping Malls That Won’t Break The Bank (Unless You Want To)
- Here are the winners of two special Best of GayCities, 2016, honors…
- What Is The Gayest City In The World In 2016?
- What Are Your Favorite Travel Mementoes? We Have 4 To Check Out
- Oakland & Silicon Valley: Top Day Trips From San Francisco
- Honeymoon Travel: Top 5 Things To Know When Planning The Big Trip
- 5 Can’t Miss Things To Enjoy In Provincetown
- Puerto Madero is Buenos Aires answer to travelers seeking chic-waterfront neighborhoods
- Destination Weddings: Top 5 Things To Know Before Saying “I Do”
- 5 Things to enjoy in the Palermo District of Buenos Aires
- Rio de Janeiro: Let the Fun and Games Begin!
- Five Things To Know That Will Help You Get The Most Out Of Japan
- Check Out Downtown Las Vegas, Another World Beyond The Strip
- Seattle: Best American City for Gay Dads?
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSLas Vegas Jeffrey James Keyes Miami Photos Fire Island Pride party haus Chicago travel San Francisco Marriage Equality GayCities New York New York City gay travel London Theater Washington DC pride haus Los Angeles
PHOTO: More Than 50,000 Attend Chile’s Gay Pride Festival
Nov 12, 2012
On Saturday more than 50,000 people took part in the Open Mind Fest, the LGBT Pride celebration in Santiago, Chile. While revelers donned brightly colored outfits and proudly waved the rainbow flag, there was a somber undercurrent as participants also addressed violence and bigotry against the LGBT community. In March, a gay man was beaten to death by neo-Nazis, prompting President Sebastian Pinera to sign an anti-discrimination law in April. And while Chile does not recognize same-sex marriages, a civil-unions bill is currently before lawmakers that would bestow inheritance rights and other liberties to gay couples.