- Keith Haring’s greatest masterpiece is hidden in an old men’s bathroom in NYC
- Bikers pedal across the globe in their birthday suits for the 13th annual World Naked Bike Ride
- Pizza, martinis and puppies: the insider’s guide to Chicago’s International Mr. Leather
- Twitter erupts after Taiwan becomes the first place in Asia to legalize gay marriage
- Miami Beach’s legendary Palace Bar & Grill bites the dust, last gay venue on Ocean Drive
- Amazing, never-before-published photos from the historic 1993 March on Washington for LGBTQ rights
- 10 classic gay diners to hang out at and carb load while they last
- PHOTOS: Hunky Jesus once again resurrected in San Francisco
- The annual Gay Easter Parade in New Orleans was a giant pastel feathered fête
- “Dead Boys Club,” and 9 classic, long lost queer films that can now finally be seen
- Confirmed: NYC Pride will also rise up against President Trump
- Spring is the season for blossoming new bromances
- New Orleans is about to be overrun by Jake Shears and other sexy book nerds
- It’s official! LA Pride parade canceled, replaced with protest march
- New Orleans holds a “reverse parade” opposing Trump’s antigay agenda in powerful must-see video
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSLos Angeles Miami Washington DC GayCities party haus Pride Photos gay travel London travel Theater San Francisco Jeffrey James Keyes New York New York City pride haus Chicago Fire Island Marriage Equality Las Vegas
Axel Set To Spin At Spain’s Way Gay Gran Canaria
Feb 05, 2013
The “hetero-friendly” Axel Hotel brand will open its fourth international property May 1 in that magnet for Eurogays, the island resort of Gran Canaria. The new inn, AxelBeach Maspalomas Apartments & Lounge Club, will debut at Playa del Inglés, the undisputed homo hub of the island.
The Spanish-based Axel chain opened its first property in Barcelona in 2003, making it the first large boutique hotel to specifically target the growing gay travel market. Branches in Buenos Aires and Berlin followed. Not surprisingly, each of the existing hotels is already the most popular on the travel social network, (and Queerty sister site) GayCities.
The Gran Canaria Axel will join a host of other gay-targeted hotels already on the island, most of which, like Villas Blancas and Pasion Tropical, are of the lower-frills and clothing optional ilk. The Axel will offer a more upscale vibe, with 92 apartment-style rooms, as well as gym, sauna, massage facilities, lush palm tree-laden garden, and the chain’s trademark Sky Bar. The new hotel will be within a five minute walk of Yumbo Center, the heart of the island’s nightlife.
Though part of Spain, Gran Canaria is (along with the rest of the Canary Islands group) actually located off the northwestern coast of Africa, more than 800 miles southwest of Europe. Its low rainfall and mild temperatures, with highs averaging from about 70 to 80 degrees year-round, draw visitors in all seasons, but especially in winter. Maspalomas Gay Pride (in May) and Dunas Festival (in August) are also peak times for gay travelers.