- Diary Of A Bad Date, But An Amazing Meal, At Otto Pizzeria in Las Vegas
- PHOTOS: It Was All Skin & Leather And Little Else At Folsom Street Fair
- Two Guys Hit The Open Road To Relive James Dean’s Last Day
- 5 Ways You Made GayCities The Most Popular LGBTQ Travel Site
- The Sexiest WeHo Lounge May Actually Be Restoration Hardware
- A ‘Showgirls’ Obsession, The Luxor, And A Great Gay Pool Party
- This Year’s Gay Days Weekend At Disney Will Be The Most Thrilling Yet
- PHOTOS: See Why Fubar’s “BFD” Party Thrives After 13 Consecutive Years
- Your Guide To The Debauchery Otherwise Know As Folsom Street Fair, 2015
- PHOTOS: Cute Club Goers Get Freaky In Frankfurt
- Alec Mapa Talks Cruises, Comedians And His “French” Family
- Drag Theatre Puts The ‘Camp’ In LA’s Fabulous Casita Del Campo
- The Great Gay Invasion Of DTLA Has Begun
- Why Hiking The Southern California Mountains Is Having A Gay Moment
- Lady Gaga Tumbles, Willam Belli Is A Lady At Pump WeHo
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSpride haus party haus Los Angeles London Photos New York City Washington DC Chicago Theater GayCities benefit haus Las Vegas Jeffrey James Keyes New York Marriage Equality Fire Island Pride Miami travel San Francisco
Axel Set To Spin At Spain’s Way Gay Gran Canaria
Feb 05, 2013
The “hetero-friendly” Axel Hotel brand will open its fourth international property May 1 in that magnet for Eurogays, the island resort of Gran Canaria. The new inn, AxelBeach Maspalomas Apartments & Lounge Club, will debut at Playa del Inglés, the undisputed homo hub of the island.
The Spanish-based Axel chain opened its first property in Barcelona in 2003, making it the first large boutique hotel to specifically target the growing gay travel market. Branches in Buenos Aires and Berlin followed. Not surprisingly, each of the existing hotels is already the most popular on the travel social network, (and Queerty sister site) GayCities.
The Gran Canaria Axel will join a host of other gay-targeted hotels already on the island, most of which, like Villas Blancas and Pasion Tropical, are of the lower-frills and clothing optional ilk. The Axel will offer a more upscale vibe, with 92 apartment-style rooms, as well as gym, sauna, massage facilities, lush palm tree-laden garden, and the chain’s trademark Sky Bar. The new hotel will be within a five minute walk of Yumbo Center, the heart of the island’s nightlife.
Though part of Spain, Gran Canaria is (along with the rest of the Canary Islands group) actually located off the northwestern coast of Africa, more than 800 miles southwest of Europe. Its low rainfall and mild temperatures, with highs averaging from about 70 to 80 degrees year-round, draw visitors in all seasons, but especially in winter. Maspalomas Gay Pride (in May) and Dunas Festival (in August) are also peak times for gay travelers.