- PHOTOS: Leather Daddies Rule The Streets At San Francisco’s Up Your Alley
- You’ll Flip For The Sexy Men’s Swimwear At Miami Beach Fashion Week
- WATCH: Two Cute Guys Ride To Luxury Hotel For A Surprise Challenge
- PHOTOS: Fifteen Things We Love About NYC Pride 2015
- Get Your Marriage On At These Five Perfect San Francisco Places
- Seven Tips To Surviving & Thriving At San Francisco Pride
- Here Are Eight Awesome Can’t Miss NYC Pride Events
- Love Conquers All For These Gorgeous LGBT Globetrotters
- The Queens Fought Back And Won. Now The Stonewall Inn Wins Historic Landmark Designation
- Nick Adams, Laverne Cox, Bianca Del Rio Celebrate The Top Bottoms Of Broadway Bares
- Five Things We Love About New York Pride
- PHOTOS: Decades Of Pride In Amazing Images
- PHOTOS: The World’s Best Nude Beaches, 2015 Edition
- Five Amazing Off The Beaten Path Prides To Check Out
- Eat Your Heart Out Mark Twain: San Francisco Is Set For Another Glorious Summer
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSChicago benefit haus Jeffrey James Keyes party haus GayCities Theater pride haus Marriage Equality New York City Photos New York Las Vegas Los Angeles London Fire Island San Francisco Washington DC Pride travel Miami
Axel Set To Spin At Spain’s Way Gay Gran Canaria
Feb 05, 2013
The “hetero-friendly” Axel Hotel brand will open its fourth international property May 1 in that magnet for Eurogays, the island resort of Gran Canaria. The new inn, AxelBeach Maspalomas Apartments & Lounge Club, will debut at Playa del Inglés, the undisputed homo hub of the island.
The Spanish-based Axel chain opened its first property in Barcelona in 2003, making it the first large boutique hotel to specifically target the growing gay travel market. Branches in Buenos Aires and Berlin followed. Not surprisingly, each of the existing hotels is already the most popular on the travel social network, (and Queerty sister site) GayCities.
The Gran Canaria Axel will join a host of other gay-targeted hotels already on the island, most of which, like Villas Blancas and Pasion Tropical, are of the lower-frills and clothing optional ilk. The Axel will offer a more upscale vibe, with 92 apartment-style rooms, as well as gym, sauna, massage facilities, lush palm tree-laden garden, and the chain’s trademark Sky Bar. The new hotel will be within a five minute walk of Yumbo Center, the heart of the island’s nightlife.
Though part of Spain, Gran Canaria is (along with the rest of the Canary Islands group) actually located off the northwestern coast of Africa, more than 800 miles southwest of Europe. Its low rainfall and mild temperatures, with highs averaging from about 70 to 80 degrees year-round, draw visitors in all seasons, but especially in winter. Maspalomas Gay Pride (in May) and Dunas Festival (in August) are also peak times for gay travelers.