- The Fast And The Fabulous: Gay Couple Enjoys Ride Of Their Lives On Their Own Private Speedway
- Kiss & Tell: These Photos Of Same Love Speak A Thousand Words
- PHOTOS: Miss Fame And The New Crop Of Ru Girls Live It Up At The Diamond Horseshoe
- The Love That Never Stops Speaking Its Name
- Take A “Looking” Tour Of San Francisco With Seven Hotspots
- These Photos Of Same-Sex Love Show Why We Are Changing The World Every Day
- Kiss & Tell: Show Us Your Love Pics And Win A Trip To San Francisco
- PHOTOS: It’s All Leather And Fur For These Fashion Week Models
- We Love The Nightlife! Shake Your Groove Thing And Party Like A Rock Star in L.A.
- GayCities Kiss Photo Contest: Hit It, Submit It & Win A Trip To San Francisco
- Don’t Miss These Unique, Off-The-Beaten-Path Gems of Los Angeles
- Paradise Found: San Francisco May Be Getting Its Very Own Leather-Themed Park
- It’s A Sunshine Day! Here Are Some Of Our Favorite Ways To Enjoy The Los Angeles Outdoors
- Ten Kisses That Changed The World
- George Takei Is Heading To Broadway
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSLas Vegas party haus New York City Washington DC pride haus Pride travel GayCities Photos Miami Theater Fire Island Chicago Jeffrey James Keyes New York Los Angeles London Marriage Equality benefit haus San Francisco
What Happens When Patti LuPone Attends Your One-Man Show About Patti LuPone?
Sep 13, 2012
It’s not uncommon for a gay New York theater type to stage a one-man show about his icon obsession. But it is unusual for said icon to appear in the audience. “New-old-gay ringmaster” Ben Rimalower recently made his debut as a writer-performer in Patti Issues, a solo show at the West Village’s legendary Duplex that explores his troubled history with his gay father and the salvation he found in Broadway diva Patti LuPone.
While La LuPone is known a force to be reckoned with, she’s also a good sport—rumor has it she doesn’t miss a production of Forbidden Broadway—and recently graced the Duplex to see Rimalower’s show. (We would just die. Die! Die! Die!)
“Performing Patti Issues for Patti was both the most nerve-racking and the most rewarding experience of my life,” Rimalower tells Queerty. “I was terrified of disappointing my diva, but the fear and anxiety were well worth suffering for the thrill of hearing her inimitable cackle letting me know I cracked her up. After the show, Patti told me I’m a good writer and that I should keep on writing. Sigh, that ought to stave off writer’s block for at least a decade or two.”
If you’re in the Big Apple and haven’t caught Patti Issues yet, the show has been extended: Additional performances are being held September 13 and 27, October 4, 8, 14, 21 and 28, and November 1.
Buy your ticket today—and for God’s sake TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONE!