- PHOTOS: Looking’s Frankie Alvarez Helps Raise Funds For LGBT Elders
- 11 Incredible Out Adventures To Experience Before You Die
- French Politicians Are Freaked Over Tabloid Outing Of Gay VP
- The Golden Girls Xmas Drag Show Is All Sorts Of Holiday Magic
- Vote For The 2014 Best Of GayCities And Win A Free Trip For Two
- The Ultimate San Francisco Xmas List
- A Handy Glossary Of Gay Terms For The Well-Meaning Hetty
- 8 Events To Titilate Your Christmas Spirit
- Win A New Year’s Vacation To San Francisco
- World AIDS Day Events Near You
- 30 Things Every Gay Man Must Do Before Turning 30
- PHOTOS: Sexy Crowd Turns It Up For Change At HRC Bash
- PHOTOS: Naughty Pups Get Down And Dirty At The Eagle
- PHOTOS: LGBT Center Event Honors Women’s Right Activists And Politicians
- Twerk At These Thanksgiving Weekend Parties
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSChicago GayCities Fire Island Pride party haus London Theater New York City Jeffrey James Keyes benefit haus New York Las Vegas travel Los Angeles Miami Washington DC San Francisco Marriage Equality Photos pride haus
South Florida Heats Up For Gay Travelers With Films, Art And A Bear Jamboree!
Apr 25, 2012
The Sunshine State has always been a popular destination for travelers of all shapes and sizes and tan lines. And as the summer season approaches, Florida is once again turning itself into a glowing gay mecca.
In South Beach, the LGBT Visitor Center is currently exhibiting works by Alfred Phillips, Gregory Little, Timothy Leistner, Nancy Goldwin, and Keith Clark in conjunction with ArtsUnited, an organization working to break down barriers facing LGBT artists. The show, sponsored by MetLife, runs through Friday, April 27.
Also on Friday, Cheryl Wright will be at the opening night of the Miami Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, where she’ll attend a screening of her documentary, Wish Me Away, and receive the festival’s Lavender Heart Award. Featuring new independent films like the psychological thriller, The Adored, foreign films like Spain’s boundary-pushing Ausente, and a collection of outlandish short films, the fest will also pay homage to queer classics with screenings of The Celluloid Closet and The Muppets Take Manhattan. Screenings and panels take place all over Miami Beach and Coral Gables. While getting your culture fix in the Miami region, make sure to check out Lords in South Beach, the fabulous gay resort.
Meanwhile, in Fort Lauderdale, gay-owned accommodations are facing a make-over just in time for summer. The Grand Resort and Spa, a luxury men’s resort, has upgraded its penthouse with new flatscreens and redesigned the pool deck to give it more of a lounge feel. The Worthington Guest House and Alcazar Resort have also done recent renovations to appeal to lovebirds, honeymooners and hopeful romantics. (For those still enjoying the single life, the clothing-optional Elysium Resort and its two heated pools continue to offer a fun meet-and-mingle atmosphere all year round.)
And we couldn’t talk Florida without bringing up Walt Disney World in Orlando. The Happiest Place on Earth is hosting Tidal Wave, the annual mega pool party for bears, on May 31 at the Royal Plaza Hotel.
Click through to the following page to see some photos from previous Tidal Waves
Photos: Tidal Wave