- Fifteen Trending Places To Visit 2015
- Photo Exhibit Celebrates Art & AIDS: Amor y Pasión
- Here Are Six Awesome Los Angeles Neighborhoods You Should Be Hanging Out In
- PHOTOS: An Intimate Glimpse At The Gay Male Escorts Of Amsterdam
- Open Up And Eat Your Way Through L.A. There Is Plenty Here To Nibble On
- Here Are The Top Ten Kinkiest Cities In America. Sir, Yes, Sir!
- PHOTOS: An Invitation Only Glimpse Behind the Fashion Week Curtain With Photographer Christopher Logan
- PHOTOS: Bianca Del Rio And Michael Musto Hosted The Unforgettable GLAM Awards
- PHOTOS: Alyssa Edwards, Alaska, Rhea Litre, And Others Show Off Their Manicures In New Davide Laffe Video
- Vote Now For Your Favorite Rising Stars In The OutMusic Awards
- PHOTOS: 30 Amazing Cruise Images On The 30th Anniversary Of The Great RSVP
- Seven Countries You Love That Don’t Treat Us Equally
- PHOTOS: “Looking” Fans in Los Angeles Get Sexy Sneak Peak
- PHOTOS: HBO’s Looking Takes A Bite Of The Big Apple
- And The Winners Are…
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSpride haus Photos San Francisco Theater Los Angeles Jeffrey James Keyes New York City party haus Fire Island New York travel Washington DC Marriage Equality benefit haus Pride Las Vegas London GayCities Chicago Miami
South Florida Heats Up For Gay Travelers With Films, Art And A Bear Jamboree!
Apr 25, 2012
The Sunshine State has always been a popular destination for travelers of all shapes and sizes and tan lines. And as the summer season approaches, Florida is once again turning itself into a glowing gay mecca.
In South Beach, the LGBT Visitor Center is currently exhibiting works by Alfred Phillips, Gregory Little, Timothy Leistner, Nancy Goldwin, and Keith Clark in conjunction with ArtsUnited, an organization working to break down barriers facing LGBT artists. The show, sponsored by MetLife, runs through Friday, April 27.
Also on Friday, Cheryl Wright will be at the opening night of the Miami Gay and Lesbian Film Festival, where she’ll attend a screening of her documentary, Wish Me Away, and receive the festival’s Lavender Heart Award. Featuring new independent films like the psychological thriller, The Adored, foreign films like Spain’s boundary-pushing Ausente, and a collection of outlandish short films, the fest will also pay homage to queer classics with screenings of The Celluloid Closet and The Muppets Take Manhattan. Screenings and panels take place all over Miami Beach and Coral Gables. While getting your culture fix in the Miami region, make sure to check out Lords in South Beach, the fabulous gay resort.
Meanwhile, in Fort Lauderdale, gay-owned accommodations are facing a make-over just in time for summer. The Grand Resort and Spa, a luxury men’s resort, has upgraded its penthouse with new flatscreens and redesigned the pool deck to give it more of a lounge feel. The Worthington Guest House and Alcazar Resort have also done recent renovations to appeal to lovebirds, honeymooners and hopeful romantics. (For those still enjoying the single life, the clothing-optional Elysium Resort and its two heated pools continue to offer a fun meet-and-mingle atmosphere all year round.)
And we couldn’t talk Florida without bringing up Walt Disney World in Orlando. The Happiest Place on Earth is hosting Tidal Wave, the annual mega pool party for bears, on May 31 at the Royal Plaza Hotel.
Click through to the following page to see some photos from previous Tidal Waves
Photos: Tidal Wave