- 12 Amazing Ways To Enjoy San Francisco (Including The Hunky Jesus Contest)
- The Fast And The Fabulous: Gay Couple Enjoys Ride Of Their Lives On Their Own Private Speedway
- Kiss & Tell: These Photos Of Same Love Speak A Thousand Words
- PHOTOS: Miss Fame And The New Crop Of Ru Girls Live It Up At The Diamond Horseshoe
- The Love That Never Stops Speaking Its Name
- Take A “Looking” Tour Of San Francisco With Seven Hotspots
- These Photos Of Same-Sex Love Show Why We Are Changing The World Every Day
- Kiss & Tell: Show Us Your Love Pics And Win A Trip To San Francisco
- PHOTOS: It’s All Leather And Fur For These Fashion Week Models
- We Love The Nightlife! Shake Your Groove Thing And Party Like A Rock Star in L.A.
- GayCities Kiss Photo Contest: Hit It, Submit It & Win A Trip To San Francisco
- Don’t Miss These Unique, Off-The-Beaten-Path Gems of Los Angeles
- Paradise Found: San Francisco May Be Getting Its Very Own Leather-Themed Park
- It’s A Sunshine Day! Here Are Some Of Our Favorite Ways To Enjoy The Los Angeles Outdoors
- Ten Kisses That Changed The World
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSTheater party haus GayCities London Pride Chicago Miami travel Photos Jeffrey James Keyes pride haus Fire Island Las Vegas Los Angeles Washington DC New York City San Francisco benefit haus Marriage Equality New York
Sweden Tops the World, Orlando Courts the Gay Games, & the U.S. Opens Its Eyes to LGBT Families
Mar 28, 2012
Victory So Swede
Sweden tops the Spartacus International Gay Travel Index
Leaping lingonberries! Berlin-based Spartacus International Gay Guide has published its index of the most LGBT-friendly destinations in the world, and Scandinavian queer darling Sweden has topped the list, scoring the highest possible cumulative score in the index’s 15 categories.
The categories range from the very positive ways (anti-discrimination legislation, marketing to the LGBT community) to the very negative (hostility by locals, death sentences) that a nation can prove (or not) its gay friendliness.
So where’s the good ol’ USA in all of this? Tied with seven other nations for—ready for this?—36th place. Countries scoring the same as America include Bulgaria, Cambodia, and Croatia.
It could be much worse: At the bottom of the list in 126th place is Iran, just beating out the United Arab Emirates and Jamaica for the least gay-friendly land on earth.
But lest you think they don’t love us, Spartacus also produced a special state-by-state Gay Travel Index USA. Tied for number 1 there are New York and Massachusetts, followed by most of the rest of New England — Vermont, New Hampshire and Connecticut — tied for number 3.
Bottoming that list? A two-way tie between North Carolina and Alabama.
Photo by JSolomon