- 12 Amazing Ways To Enjoy San Francisco (Including The Hunky Jesus Contest)
- The Fast And The Fabulous: Gay Couple Enjoys Ride Of Their Lives On Their Own Private Speedway
- Kiss & Tell: These Photos Of Same Love Speak A Thousand Words
- PHOTOS: Miss Fame And The New Crop Of Ru Girls Live It Up At The Diamond Horseshoe
- The Love That Never Stops Speaking Its Name
- Take A “Looking” Tour Of San Francisco With Seven Hotspots
- These Photos Of Same-Sex Love Show Why We Are Changing The World Every Day
- Kiss & Tell: Show Us Your Love Pics And Win A Trip To San Francisco
- PHOTOS: It’s All Leather And Fur For These Fashion Week Models
- We Love The Nightlife! Shake Your Groove Thing And Party Like A Rock Star in L.A.
- GayCities Kiss Photo Contest: Hit It, Submit It & Win A Trip To San Francisco
- Don’t Miss These Unique, Off-The-Beaten-Path Gems of Los Angeles
- Paradise Found: San Francisco May Be Getting Its Very Own Leather-Themed Park
- It’s A Sunshine Day! Here Are Some Of Our Favorite Ways To Enjoy The Los Angeles Outdoors
- Ten Kisses That Changed The World
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSNew York benefit haus Jeffrey James Keyes London Pride Las Vegas San Francisco Chicago party haus pride haus Washington DC Photos travel New York City Miami Marriage Equality GayCities Theater Fire Island Los Angeles
More Drama From Fire Island—And It’s Not Even Summer Yet!
Mar 20, 2012
The anonymous blogger MarkAtLarge must have his ear to the ground in Fire Island, because he’s got more scoop about the future of the Pavilion and the remainder of the Pines’ business district.
Last week, Mark posted that Andrew Kirtzman, Seth Weissman and Matthew Blesso of FIP Ventures—which owns the Pavilion, the Canteen restaurant, the Blue Whale and more than three-quarters of the commercial space in the harbor area—were looking to sell.
Rumor had it Kirtzman was committed to rebuilding the Pavilion and adjoining areas after November’s fire, but that his more conservative partners got cold feet and just wanted to cash in their chips.
But, as Mark reports now, it looks like the sale won’t happen—or at least it’s been postponed:
Let’s start by giving some clarity to the chief rumor: It looks like the sale of the Fire Island Properties owned by FIP Ventures will not happen. The properties were being shopped around as far back as December according to Eric Von Kuersteiner, the prior owner, who was approached by an interested buyer seeking advice on the deal.
Eric didn’t reveal the details of his conversation but told markatlarge that he feels the property without the Pavilion is not even worth the $10 million mortgage against it. Considering the purchase price was $20 million ($17 million plus capital and closing costs) just two years ago, it’s highly unlikely a majority of the 39 total investors will agree to sell the property at such a massive loss.
We’re no Donald Trump but we’d imagine it’d be hard to sell the gay-resort hub when it’s just a charred lot. But will the temporary structure that’s allegedly going up for summer 2012 draw big enough crowds to help fund renovations? We’ll have to wait and see.