- What Is The Gayest ‘Hood In The World? You Decide.
- They Go Low, We Give $$: Ten Great LGBTQ Charities To Support In Desperate Times
- 5 Great Las Vegas Shopping Malls That Won’t Break The Bank (Unless You Want To)
- Here are the winners of two special Best of GayCities, 2016, honors…
- What Is The Gayest City In The World In 2016?
- What Are Your Favorite Travel Mementoes? We Have 4 To Check Out
- Oakland & Silicon Valley: Top Day Trips From San Francisco
- Honeymoon Travel: Top 5 Things To Know When Planning The Big Trip
- 5 Can’t Miss Things To Enjoy In Provincetown
- Puerto Madero is Buenos Aires answer to travelers seeking chic-waterfront neighborhoods
- Destination Weddings: Top 5 Things To Know Before Saying “I Do”
- 5 Things to enjoy in the Palermo District of Buenos Aires
- Rio de Janeiro: Let the Fun and Games Begin!
- Five Things To Know That Will Help You Get The Most Out Of Japan
- Check Out Downtown Las Vegas, Another World Beyond The Strip
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSPride Fire Island Theater New York City Las Vegas Photos Marriage Equality GayCities Los Angeles New York pride haus Chicago travel Washington DC London party haus Miami San Francisco Jeffrey James Keyes gay travel
More Drama From Fire Island—And It’s Not Even Summer Yet!
Mar 20, 2012
The anonymous blogger MarkAtLarge must have his ear to the ground in Fire Island, because he’s got more scoop about the future of the Pavilion and the remainder of the Pines’ business district.
Last week, Mark posted that Andrew Kirtzman, Seth Weissman and Matthew Blesso of FIP Ventures—which owns the Pavilion, the Canteen restaurant, the Blue Whale and more than three-quarters of the commercial space in the harbor area—were looking to sell.
Rumor had it Kirtzman was committed to rebuilding the Pavilion and adjoining areas after November’s fire, but that his more conservative partners got cold feet and just wanted to cash in their chips.
But, as Mark reports now, it looks like the sale won’t happen—or at least it’s been postponed:
Let’s start by giving some clarity to the chief rumor: It looks like the sale of the Fire Island Properties owned by FIP Ventures will not happen. The properties were being shopped around as far back as December according to Eric Von Kuersteiner, the prior owner, who was approached by an interested buyer seeking advice on the deal.
Eric didn’t reveal the details of his conversation but told markatlarge that he feels the property without the Pavilion is not even worth the $10 million mortgage against it. Considering the purchase price was $20 million ($17 million plus capital and closing costs) just two years ago, it’s highly unlikely a majority of the 39 total investors will agree to sell the property at such a massive loss.
We’re no Donald Trump but we’d imagine it’d be hard to sell the gay-resort hub when it’s just a charred lot. But will the temporary structure that’s allegedly going up for summer 2012 draw big enough crowds to help fund renovations? We’ll have to wait and see.