- We Are In Kansas City For the World Series, And It’s Pretty Darn Gay
- Ten Things You Should Know About Gay Bars From A Castro Bartender
- Meanwhile in London… 12 UK Gay Scene DJs You Should Get To Know
- PHOTOS: Gays in the Military Exhibition
- A Deep Dive Into Identities Of Queer Teens
- Interview: Jackie Beat On The Facebook Drag War, Safe Sex & San Francisco
- PHOTOS: Vampire Dandies and Alien Princesses Take the Stage at Bowieball 2014
- PHOTOS: Sin Is In At This Year’s Hustlaball
- Trick And Treat At The Ultimate Halloween Party
- PHOTOS: Brent Corrigan And Friends Star At Austin’s LGBT Film Fest
- 8 Great Reads To Scratch Your Literary Itch This Fall
- 5 Reasons The Death Of Gayborhoods Is Highly Exaggerated
- Mark Your Calendars, New Yorkers
- Twinks Rule In These 10 Cities Around The World
- PHOTOS: Mile High Immersive Dinner Theater Lands In NYC’s Lower East Side
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSLas Vegas party haus GayCities London travel New York City Jeffrey James Keyes Los Angeles Theater Fire Island gay travel Chicago pride haus Miami Pride New York San Francisco Washington DC Photos Marriage Equality
Zimbabwe Gay Group’s Donation Of Pink Trash Cans Has People Seeing Red
Dec 19, 2011 by GayCities
Zimbabwe’s Sexual Rights Center found an interesting way to get their message of LGBT and women’s rights across in a country usually hostile to such issues—they donated trash cans painted bright pink and bearing the group’s logo to Bulawayo, the country’s second-largest city.
Mayor Patrick Thaba-Moyo applauded the program, saying gays are taxpayers (duh!) and can make whatever kinds of donations they like. He indicated the cans will be placed at strategic locations around town.
Bulawayo Residents Association Secretary General Samuel Moyo, however, said locals should have been consulted first. It’s been reported some residents who oppose the Center’s agenda are refusing to use the bins.
Yes, because indiscriminately throwing garbage on the ground is much more traditional and moral.
Image by ScarletPeaches