- Amazing, never-before-published photos from the historic 1993 March on Washington for LGBTQ rights
- 10 classic gay diners to hang out at and carb load while they last
- PHOTOS: Hunky Jesus once again resurrected in San Francisco
- The annual Gay Easter Parade in New Orleans was a giant pastel feathered fête
- “Dead Boys Club,” and 9 classic, long lost queer films that can now finally be seen
- Confirmed: NYC Pride will also rise up against President Trump
- Spring is the season for blossoming new bromances
- New Orleans is about to be overrun by Jake Shears and other sexy book nerds
- It’s official! LA Pride parade canceled, replaced with protest march
- New Orleans holds a “reverse parade” opposing Trump’s antigay agenda in powerful must-see video
- Winter wonderland: seven hotspots to hit the slopes this winter
- The world’s 12 gayest hot spots to ring in the New Year
- Wanna get away? Hit one of these sultry gay beaches this winter
- 9 ways San Francisco created hippie–then hipster–fashions for the world to enjoy
- PHOTOS: And the winners of the 2016 ‘Best Of GayCities’ awards are…
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSparty haus Miami Photos Washington DC Las Vegas London Pride Los Angeles gay travel San Francisco Jeffrey James Keyes Theater Fire Island travel Chicago GayCities New York Marriage Equality pride haus New York City
Two Hot Homosexual Soccer Players Coming to America’s TV Screens?
Nov 29, 1999
One of the things we’ve been waiting for for a while in America is an openly gay active pro athlete. (Post-career de-closeting has been the norm so far.) Sweden got one when soccer player Anton Hysen came out this past March. Now it looks like Hysen might be coming to play for the United States. Over at On Top magazine, they’ve translated some Swedish sports magazine for the news:
According to Sportsbladet, Hysen has been approached by Major League Soccer (MLS) clubs the Sporting Kansas City and the Vancouver Whitecaps.
“I talked with them and it looks good, I can say,” Hysen said. “They are interested. It was a good talk and they have said what they want.”
The second hot homo is David Testo, midfielder for the Montreal Impact and MVP in 2009, who came out last month in the Canadian press. He and the rest of his team are in a bit of a limbo right now—the whole roster has been released as they prepare to move from the North American Soccer League into the expanding Major League Soccer. And the North Carolina-born 30-year-old tells MLSSoccer.com that he’s not sure if he’s going to retire before next season:
“I really don’t know my future in soccer right now. I haven’t personally closed the door on Montreal, but we’ll see what happens. If I were to go somewhere else, a lot of circumstances would have to be in place. I’m not just going to pick myself up and go to a city where I don’t know people, or if I don’t know the organization.
“I definitely know that I come with a little bit of baggage, and maybe a club is hesitant to pick me up now because of all this. But if that’s the case, then I don’t want to play for that organization anyway.”
Now we just have to make Americans pay some attention to soccer. Perhaps we in the gay media can engineer a plot to unite these two on a team and set them up on some dates. That’d get the some more gays to tune in, at least.