- Behind The Harness: The Extraordinary History Of The Folsom Street Fair
- Last Day To RSVP For The Star-Studded Stoli Guy Finale In New York City
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Philadelphia Winner Mark Has The Charming Personality Of A Superstar
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Los Angeles Winner Robert Showcases His Authentic Tahitian Dancing
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Seattle Winner Sean Choreographs An Inspiring Dance Routine
- PHOTOS: The Boys Go Neon In New York City
- VOTE: Stoli Guy D.C. Winner William Struts His Stuff Like A True Professional
- VOTE: Stoli Guy San Francisco Winner Spencer Shakes What His Mama Gave Him
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Chicago Winner Jon Melts Our Hearts With An Inspiring Performance
- You’re Invited To The Stoli Guy NYC Finale With Betty Who & Blake Skjellerup
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Boston Winner Davy D Puts On A Show-Stopping Performance
- 13 Most Wanted Men: Andy Warhol Created A Scandal At The 1964 World’s Fair
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Fort Lauderdale Winner Michael Has The Entire Package
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Dallas Winner Davidré Dead Drops To The Top
- VOTE: Stoli Guy Denver Winner David Serves A Sickening Stage Presence
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSNew York City Theater Las Vegas Los Angeles Washington DC GayCities Miami New York Jeffrey James Keyes Marriage Equality San Francisco pride haus Pride party haus Chicago Photos London travel Fire Island benefit haus
Two Hot Homosexual Soccer Players Coming to America’s TV Screens?
Nov 29, 1999 by GayCities
One of the things we’ve been waiting for for a while in America is an openly gay active pro athlete. (Post-career de-closeting has been the norm so far.) Sweden got one when soccer player Anton Hysen came out this past March. Now it looks like Hysen might be coming to play for the United States. Over at On Top magazine, they’ve translated some Swedish sports magazine for the news:
According to Sportsbladet, Hysen has been approached by Major League Soccer (MLS) clubs the Sporting Kansas City and the Vancouver Whitecaps.
“I talked with them and it looks good, I can say,” Hysen said. “They are interested. It was a good talk and they have said what they want.”
The second hot homo is David Testo, midfielder for the Montreal Impact and MVP in 2009, who came out last month in the Canadian press. He and the rest of his team are in a bit of a limbo right now—the whole roster has been released as they prepare to move from the North American Soccer League into the expanding Major League Soccer. And the North Carolina-born 30-year-old tells MLSSoccer.com that he’s not sure if he’s going to retire before next season:
“I really don’t know my future in soccer right now. I haven’t personally closed the door on Montreal, but we’ll see what happens. If I were to go somewhere else, a lot of circumstances would have to be in place. I’m not just going to pick myself up and go to a city where I don’t know people, or if I don’t know the organization.
“I definitely know that I come with a little bit of baggage, and maybe a club is hesitant to pick me up now because of all this. But if that’s the case, then I don’t want to play for that organization anyway.”
Now we just have to make Americans pay some attention to soccer. Perhaps we in the gay media can engineer a plot to unite these two on a team and set them up on some dates. That’d get the some more gays to tune in, at least.