- 5 Can’t Miss Things To Enjoy In Provincetown
- Puerto Madero is Buenos Aries answer to travelers seeking chic-waterfront neighborhoods
- Destination Weddings: Top 5 Things To Know Before Saying “I Do”
- 5 Things to enjoy in the Palermo District of Buenos Aires
- Rio de Janeiro: Let the Fun and Games Begin!
- Five Things To Know That Will Help You Get The Most Out Of Japan
- Check Out Downtown Las Vegas, Another World Beyond The Strip
- Seattle: Best American City for Gay Dads?
- Antarctica: Top 5 Tips For the Ultimate White Party
- Pride Season Is Not Over. Orlando Will Hold One Of The Most Important In LGBTQ History.
- Homos, FOMO and the Enduring Appeal of Paris
- PHOTOS: This Charming Texan Was Just Named America’s Top Bartender
- LGBT New Yorkers Celebrate Pride and Resilience At The Center’s Annual Garden Party
- PHOTOS: Instagram Users Respond To Orlando Tragedy In Beautiful And Creative Ways
- PHOTOS: Tributes From Around The World As Thousands Gather To Mourn Orlando Victims
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSLondon Photos San Francisco Los Angeles GayCities Washington DC pride haus party haus Marriage Equality Miami Chicago Theater Fire Island New York New York City Pride travel gay travel Las Vegas Jeffrey James Keyes
PHOTOS: Harvey Milk’s Jeans, Vintage Sex Toys, Jars of Pubic Hair, and More From the Archives of San Francisco’s LGBT History Museum
Dec 03, 2011
It’s appropriate that the first LGBT history museum in the country opened its doors in San Francisco – the city which hosted some of the first gay riots as well as some of the first gay weddings. Only the second of its kind in the entire world, the GLBT History Museum in the Castro has been serving the community since January and has even been visited by the real deal, non-drag Britney Spears.
Now Queerty is taking you on an exclusive backstage tour of the museum thanks to our friend Michael Stabile. The local director went through the archives of the museum’s parent organization, the GLBT Historical Society, when he was researching for his upcoming documentary about SF gay porn mogul-turned-philanthropist Chuck Holmes (whom the city’s LGBT center is named after).
While digging up facts about the gay Hugh Hefner, Stabile stumbled upon a piece of queer history in the form of Harvey Milk’s jeans, Butterfly Brigade nets, and an assortment of dildos. Let’s just say our forefathers were kept busy by more than just fighting for gay liberation.
Check the following pages for an exclusive gallery of the fascinatingly collection. Some of the kinkier stuff would certainly have made even Britney blush. To get up close and personal with our queer past, visit the GLBT History Museum in San Francisco.
Photos courtesy of the GLBT History Museum.