- We Are In Kansas City For the World Series, And It’s Pretty Darn Gay
- Ten Things You Should Know About Gay Bars From A Castro Bartender
- Meanwhile in London… 12 UK Gay Scene DJs You Should Get To Know
- PHOTOS: Gays in the Military Exhibition
- A Deep Dive Into Identities Of Queer Teens
- Interview: Jackie Beat On The Facebook Drag War, Safe Sex & San Francisco
- PHOTOS: Vampire Dandies and Alien Princesses Take the Stage at Bowieball 2014
- PHOTOS: Sin Is In At This Year’s Hustlaball
- Trick And Treat At The Ultimate Halloween Party
- PHOTOS: Brent Corrigan And Friends Star At Austin’s LGBT Film Fest
- 8 Great Reads To Scratch Your Literary Itch This Fall
- 5 Reasons The Death Of Gayborhoods Is Highly Exaggerated
- Mark Your Calendars, New Yorkers
- Twinks Rule In These 10 Cities Around The World
- PHOTOS: Mile High Immersive Dinner Theater Lands In NYC’s Lower East Side
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSgay travel Chicago Theater Washington DC New York Photos Marriage Equality GayCities travel Pride New York City Fire Island Los Angeles party haus London San Francisco Las Vegas pride haus Miami Jeffrey James Keyes
PHOTOS: No It’s Not Carnival—It’s The Rio Gay Pride Parade!
Oct 11, 2011 by GayCities
On Sunday, Rio governor Sergio Cabral joined more than 700,000 people at the 16th annual Rio de Janeiro gay pride parade in Copacabana beach, where revelers enjoyed springlike weather, live music, colorful barely-there costumes, trio eletricos (motorized floats) and a spirit of community.
This year’s theme, “We Are All Equal Before the Peace,” is a play on “We Are All Equal Before the Law,” a phrase from the Brazilian constitution. Paradegoers carried signs and chanted slogans urging the government to enact stricter laws against anti-gay attacks and to approve same-sex marriage.
Click through to enjoy photos from this year’s celebration
Images via Gay Pride Brazil