- Packing Light: 10 Worthwhile Weekend Getaways
- PHOTOS: Halloween With The Ghouls Of RuPaul’s Drag Race
- PHOTOS: The Stunning Male Portraits Of David Armstrong Are Remembered
- PHOTOS: Minimal Effort, Maximum Exposure Costumes
- We Are In Kansas City For the World Series, And It’s Pretty Darn Gay
- 10 Things You Should Know About Gay Bars From A Castro Bartender
- 12 UK Gay DJs You Should Get To Know
- PHOTOS: Gays in the Military Exhibition
- A Deep Dive Into Identities Of Queer Teens
- Interview: Jackie Beat On The Facebook Drag War, Safe Sex & San Francisco
- PHOTOS: Vampire Dandies and Alien Princesses Take the Stage at Bowieball 2014
- PHOTOS: Sin Is In At This Year’s Hustlaball
- Trick And Treat At The Ultimate Halloween Party
- PHOTOS: Brent Corrigan And Friends Star At Austin’s LGBT Film Fest
- 8 Great Reads To Scratch Your Literary Itch This Fall
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSSan Francisco pride haus Theater Los Angeles Pride Photos New York Las Vegas New York City Chicago gay travel party haus Jeffrey James Keyes Miami GayCities London Marriage Equality Fire Island Washington DC travel
Oz Adds Third Gender Option To Passports (Munchkins Still SOL)
Sep 15, 2011 by GayCities
The Australian government has given citizens another option for their passports when it comes to identifying their gender: male, female and indeterminate.
“This amendment makes life easier and significantly reduces the administrative burden for sex and gender diverse people who want a passport that reflects their gender and physical appearance,” stated Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd.
Neither sex-reassignment surgery nor an altered birth certificate is necessary to have an updated passport issued. Transgender citizens will, however, have to present supporting documentation from their doctor.
While the change was instituted to prevent discrimination against transgender and intersex passport holders, being called “indeterminate” sounds pretty patronizing, to say the least.
Baby steps, we guess.