- PHOTOS: Looking’s Frankie Alvarez Helps Raise Funds For LGBT Elders
- 11 Incredible Out Adventures To Experience Before You Die
- French Politicians Are Freaked Over Tabloid Outing Of Gay VP
- The Golden Girls Xmas Drag Show Is All Sorts Of Holiday Magic
- Vote For The 2014 Best Of GayCities And Win A Free Trip For Two
- The Ultimate San Francisco Xmas List
- A Handy Glossary Of Gay Terms For The Well-Meaning Hetty
- 8 Events To Titilate Your Christmas Spirit
- Win A New Year’s Vacation To San Francisco
- World AIDS Day Events Near You
- 30 Things Every Gay Man Must Do Before Turning 30
- PHOTOS: Sexy Crowd Turns It Up For Change At HRC Bash
- PHOTOS: Naughty Pups Get Down And Dirty At The Eagle
- PHOTOS: LGBT Center Event Honors Women’s Right Activists And Politicians
- Twerk At These Thanksgiving Weekend Parties
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSpride haus Fire Island party haus GayCities San Francisco Las Vegas benefit haus travel Pride Marriage Equality London Photos New York City New York Washington DC Jeffrey James Keyes Los Angeles Miami Chicago Theater
Oz Adds Third Gender Option To Passports (Munchkins Still SOL)
Sep 15, 2011
The Australian government has given citizens another option for their passports when it comes to identifying their gender: male, female and indeterminate.
“This amendment makes life easier and significantly reduces the administrative burden for sex and gender diverse people who want a passport that reflects their gender and physical appearance,” stated Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd.
Neither sex-reassignment surgery nor an altered birth certificate is necessary to have an updated passport issued. Transgender citizens will, however, have to present supporting documentation from their doctor.
While the change was instituted to prevent discrimination against transgender and intersex passport holders, being called “indeterminate” sounds pretty patronizing, to say the least.
Baby steps, we guess.