- PHOTOS: Looking’s Frankie Alvarez Helps Raise Funds For LGBT Elders
- 11 Incredible Out Adventures To Experience Before You Die
- French Politicians Are Freaked Over Tabloid Outing Of Gay VP
- The Golden Girls Xmas Drag Show Is All Sorts Of Holiday Magic
- Vote For The 2014 Best Of GayCities And Win A Free Trip For Two
- The Ultimate San Francisco Xmas List
- A Handy Glossary Of Gay Terms For The Well-Meaning Hetty
- 8 Events To Titilate Your Christmas Spirit
- Win A New Year’s Vacation To San Francisco
- World AIDS Day Events Near You
- 30 Things Every Gay Man Must Do Before Turning 30
- PHOTOS: Sexy Crowd Turns It Up For Change At HRC Bash
- PHOTOS: Naughty Pups Get Down And Dirty At The Eagle
- PHOTOS: LGBT Center Event Honors Women’s Right Activists And Politicians
- Twerk At These Thanksgiving Weekend Parties
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSWashington DC Marriage Equality Chicago Los Angeles travel New York Miami Fire Island pride haus Jeffrey James Keyes GayCities Photos San Francisco Pride Theater Las Vegas New York City party haus London benefit haus
Durban Calls Itself South Africa’s Gayest City Because It Has The Fewest Gay Bashings
Jul 28, 2011
Completely overstepping Johannesburg and Cape Town, Siphokazi Nombande of the Durban Lesbian and Gay Community Health Centre has gone ahead and declared Durban, a busy port with about 3.5 million residents, South Africa’s gayest city.
Because, she explains, “we have a very small number of hate crimes against gays and lesbians reported in Durban and KwaZulu-Natal in general. I would say there are ten cases that have been reported. But these are the cases that we have records of. There could be many more.” Did we mention it’s Durban Pride Week?
The coastal city, South Africa’s second-largest, actually has a lot going for it. But someone needs to help Nombande with her messaging. While other “gayest cities” concentrate on the number of queer attractions and the size of the local LGBT community, she’s all, “Gay people get beaten up here the least!” It really makes us wanna visit.