- Packing Light: 10 Worthwhile Weekend Getaways
- PHOTOS: Halloween With The Ghouls Of RuPaul’s Drag Race
- PHOTOS: The Stunning Male Portraits Of David Armstrong Are Remembered
- PHOTOS: Minimal Effort, Maximum Exposure Costumes
- We Are In Kansas City For the World Series, And It’s Pretty Darn Gay
- 10 Things You Should Know About Gay Bars From A Castro Bartender
- 12 UK Gay DJs You Should Get To Know
- PHOTOS: Gays in the Military Exhibition
- A Deep Dive Into Identities Of Queer Teens
- Interview: Jackie Beat On The Facebook Drag War, Safe Sex & San Francisco
- PHOTOS: Vampire Dandies and Alien Princesses Take the Stage at Bowieball 2014
- PHOTOS: Sin Is In At This Year’s Hustlaball
- Trick And Treat At The Ultimate Halloween Party
- PHOTOS: Brent Corrigan And Friends Star At Austin’s LGBT Film Fest
- 8 Great Reads To Scratch Your Literary Itch This Fall
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSFire Island Washington DC Los Angeles Miami party haus Pride Las Vegas San Francisco Marriage Equality Jeffrey James Keyes London New York New York City Chicago pride haus Theater Photos travel GayCities gay travel
Durban Calls Itself South Africa’s Gayest City Because It Has The Fewest Gay Bashings
Jul 28, 2011 by GayCities
Completely overstepping Johannesburg and Cape Town, Siphokazi Nombande of the Durban Lesbian and Gay Community Health Centre has gone ahead and declared Durban, a busy port with about 3.5 million residents, South Africa’s gayest city.
Because, she explains, “we have a very small number of hate crimes against gays and lesbians reported in Durban and KwaZulu-Natal in general. I would say there are ten cases that have been reported. But these are the cases that we have records of. There could be many more.” Did we mention it’s Durban Pride Week?
The coastal city, South Africa’s second-largest, actually has a lot going for it. But someone needs to help Nombande with her messaging. While other “gayest cities” concentrate on the number of queer attractions and the size of the local LGBT community, she’s all, “Gay people get beaten up here the least!” It really makes us wanna visit.