- 5 Can’t Miss Things To Enjoy In Provincetown
- Puerto Madero is Buenos Aries answer to travelers seeking chic-waterfront neighborhoods
- Destination Weddings: Top 5 Things To Know Before Saying “I Do”
- 5 Things to enjoy in the Palermo District of Buenos Aires
- Rio de Janeiro: Let the Fun and Games Begin!
- Five Things To Know That Will Help You Get The Most Out Of Japan
- Check Out Downtown Las Vegas, Another World Beyond The Strip
- Seattle: Best American City for Gay Dads?
- Antarctica: Top 5 Tips For the Ultimate White Party
- Pride Season Is Not Over. Orlando Will Hold One Of The Most Important In LGBTQ History.
- Homos, FOMO and the Enduring Appeal of Paris
- PHOTOS: This Charming Texan Was Just Named America’s Top Bartender
- LGBT New Yorkers Celebrate Pride and Resilience At The Center’s Annual Garden Party
- PHOTOS: Instagram Users Respond To Orlando Tragedy In Beautiful And Creative Ways
- PHOTOS: Tributes From Around The World As Thousands Gather To Mourn Orlando Victims
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSpride haus Las Vegas Washington DC New York New York City Theater Photos Marriage Equality travel GayCities Jeffrey James Keyes party haus gay travel San Francisco Fire Island Los Angeles Chicago London Miami Pride
PHOTOS: Broadway’s Hair Lets The Sun Shine In With Three Gay Weddings On Stage
Jul 26, 2011
(Ryan Dietz and his partner, Josh Levine, were among three gay couples wed at a special ceremony after Monday night’s performance of Hair.)
I arrived at Broadway’s St. James Theatre at 9:15pm on Monday, July 25—one day after gay marriage was legalized in New York. The marquee for Hair extended above me–and there was a bustle of press and tourists itching to find out what was about to take place. I was quickly ushered into the lobby of the theater, where I heard the cast belting out “Let the Sun Shine” at the end of the performance.
Once the audience started applauding, I dashed in front of the audience to get a front row view of a true New York moment: Broadway Impact teamed up with Oscar Eustis, Artistic Director of the Public Theater and Jordan Roth, president of Jujamcyn Theaters, to host a triple same-sex wedding of members of the Broadway community. Actress and singer Terri White and her partner, jewelry designer Donna Barnett; actor Ryan Dietz and his partner, playwright Josh Levine; and Broadway stage doorman John Raymond Barker and his partner, Jujamcyn usher Jared Pike, all said “I do” in one of the most momentous ways.
Tony Award nominee Colman Domingo (MAD TV, Scottsboro Boys) officiated the ceremony, which was followed by a big gay dance party with cast members, family and the most loving audience on Broadway. Forget about 1967, 2011 truly is the summer of love.
If you want to “Believe in Love,” you better hurry: Hair only runs at the St. James through September 10.
Images by Jeffrey James Keyes