- LGBT New Yorkers Celebrate Pride and Resilience At The Center’s Annual Garden Party
- PHOTOS: Instagram Users Respond To Orlando Tragedy In Beautiful And Creative Ways
- PHOTOS: Tributes From Around The World As Thousands Gather To Mourn Orlando Victims
- PHOTOS: Pride Takes Over Tel Aviv And It’s A Feast For The Eyes
- Meet Ben Ryan, The Nearly Naked AIDS Activist Who Can Dance
- PHOTOS: Long Beach Pride Marks The Beginning Of This Year’s Pride Season
- Seven Reasons Every Art Lover Must Visit The New San Francisco Modern Art Museum
- PHOTOS: This Year’s World Naked Gardening Day Was Absolutely Plantastic
- Madonna Lyrics Reimagined As Motivational Posters
- White House Plans First National Monument To Honor Gay Rights
- Six Queer Promposals That Will Light Up Your Life
- Vintage Pics From Waikiki’s Gay Beaches Prove That Speedos Never Go Out Of Style
- PHOTOS: These Vintage Gay Pride Photos Are Absolutely Everything
- PHOTOS: Andrew Rannells Celebrates Model Behavior Backstage At Jeffrey Fashion Cares
- PHOTOS: Hunky Jesus Contest Brings Beloved Sacrilege Back To San Francisco
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSNew York Chicago GayCities Pride New York City Las Vegas travel London Marriage Equality Los Angeles Miami pride haus Washington DC party haus Photos Theater benefit haus Fire Island San Francisco Jeffrey James Keyes
PHOTOS: Broadway’s Hair Lets The Sun Shine In With Three Gay Weddings On Stage
Jul 26, 2011
(Ryan Dietz and his partner, Josh Levine, were among three gay couples wed at a special ceremony after Monday night’s performance of Hair.)
I arrived at Broadway’s St. James Theatre at 9:15pm on Monday, July 25—one day after gay marriage was legalized in New York. The marquee for Hair extended above me–and there was a bustle of press and tourists itching to find out what was about to take place. I was quickly ushered into the lobby of the theater, where I heard the cast belting out “Let the Sun Shine” at the end of the performance.
Once the audience started applauding, I dashed in front of the audience to get a front row view of a true New York moment: Broadway Impact teamed up with Oscar Eustis, Artistic Director of the Public Theater and Jordan Roth, president of Jujamcyn Theaters, to host a triple same-sex wedding of members of the Broadway community. Actress and singer Terri White and her partner, jewelry designer Donna Barnett; actor Ryan Dietz and his partner, playwright Josh Levine; and Broadway stage doorman John Raymond Barker and his partner, Jujamcyn usher Jared Pike, all said “I do” in one of the most momentous ways.
Tony Award nominee Colman Domingo (MAD TV, Scottsboro Boys) officiated the ceremony, which was followed by a big gay dance party with cast members, family and the most loving audience on Broadway. Forget about 1967, 2011 truly is the summer of love.
If you want to “Believe in Love,” you better hurry: Hair only runs at the St. James through September 10.
Images by Jeffrey James Keyes