- PHOTOS: Hunky Jesus once again resurrected in San Francisco
- The annual Gay Easter Parade in New Orleans was a giant pastel feathered fête
- “Dead Boys Club,” and 9 classic, long lost queer films that can now finally be seen
- Confirmed: NYC Pride will also rise up against President Trump
- Spring is the season for blossoming new bromances
- New Orleans is about to be overrun by Jake Shears and other sexy book nerds
- It’s official! LA Pride parade canceled, replaced with protest march
- New Orleans holds a “reverse parade” opposing Trump’s antigay agenda in powerful must-see video
- Winter wonderland: seven hotspots to hit the slopes this winter
- The world’s 12 gayest hot spots to ring in the New Year
- Wanna get away? Hit one of these sultry gay beaches this winter
- 9 ways San Francisco created hippie–then hipster–fashions for the world to enjoy
- PHOTOS: And the winners of the 2016 ‘Best Of GayCities’ awards are…
- PHOTOS: The annual Santa Speedo Run holiday tradition lives on
- What’s the best up-and-coming gay city in the world? You decide.
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSpride haus Jeffrey James Keyes GayCities gay travel London Marriage Equality Las Vegas Chicago Fire Island New York City Washington DC party haus Miami Photos Los Angeles Theater San Francisco Pride travel New York
The First Time: Gay and Lesbian Writers Discuss Losing Their Gay Bar V-Cards
Jun 29, 2011
As gay pride month winds down, Slate.com‘s June Thomas takes a close look at that fabled meeting place where the gay rights movement ostensibly began: the gay bar. The first piece, on Monday, focused on the historical importance of the bar as a meeting place, both social and political.
The second piece asks gay and lesbian writers to chronicle their first experiences in gay bars. The resulting stories, from the likes of Alison Bechdel, David Rakoff, Simon Doonan, Dan Savage, and more, are alternately hilarious and heartwarming.
Where was your first gay bar experience? What was it like? Share your thoughts in the comments section with queerty!