- What’s the best up-and-coming gay city in the world? You decide.
- What Is The Gayest ‘Hood In The World? You Decide.
- They Go Low, We Give $$: Ten Great LGBTQ Charities To Support In Desperate Times
- 5 Great Las Vegas Shopping Malls That Won’t Break The Bank (Unless You Want To)
- Here are the winners of two special Best of GayCities, 2016, honors…
- What Is The Gayest City In The World In 2016?
- What Are Your Favorite Travel Mementoes? We Have 4 To Check Out
- Oakland & Silicon Valley: Top Day Trips From San Francisco
- Honeymoon Travel: Top 5 Things To Know When Planning The Big Trip
- 5 Can’t Miss Things To Enjoy In Provincetown
- Puerto Madero is Buenos Aires answer to travelers seeking chic-waterfront neighborhoods
- Destination Weddings: Top 5 Things To Know Before Saying “I Do”
- 5 Things to enjoy in the Palermo District of Buenos Aires
- Rio de Janeiro: Let the Fun and Games Begin!
- Five Things To Know That Will Help You Get The Most Out Of Japan
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSLondon gay travel Fire Island Los Angeles New York travel New York City Pride Marriage Equality Washington DC party haus San Francisco Theater Chicago GayCities Photos Miami Las Vegas Jeffrey James Keyes pride haus
The First Time: Gay and Lesbian Writers Discuss Losing Their Gay Bar V-Cards
Jun 29, 2011
As gay pride month winds down, Slate.com‘s June Thomas takes a close look at that fabled meeting place where the gay rights movement ostensibly began: the gay bar. The first piece, on Monday, focused on the historical importance of the bar as a meeting place, both social and political.
The second piece asks gay and lesbian writers to chronicle their first experiences in gay bars. The resulting stories, from the likes of Alison Bechdel, David Rakoff, Simon Doonan, Dan Savage, and more, are alternately hilarious and heartwarming.
Where was your first gay bar experience? What was it like? Share your thoughts in the comments section with queerty!