- Win An Incredible Vacation To San Francisco For Pride & Much More
- Dan Savage On How To Make A Crowd-Pleasing NSFW Video
- 10 Spring Reading Recommendations For All You Sexy Book Nerds
- Brent Everett’s Real-Life “Throuple” Relationship Inspired A Romance Novel
- 12 Amazing Ways To Enjoy San Francisco (Including The Hunky Jesus Contest)
- 13 Guaranteed Ways To Fail At Picking Up Someone Up At A Bar From A Castro Bartender
- The Fast And The Fabulous: Gay Couple Enjoys Ride Of Their Lives On Their Own Private Speedway
- Kiss & Tell: These Photos Of Same Love Speak A Thousand Words
- PHOTOS: Miss Fame And The New Crop Of Ru Girls Live It Up At The Diamond Horseshoe
- The Love That Never Stops Speaking Its Name
- Take A “Looking” Tour Of San Francisco With Seven Hotspots
- These Photos Of Same-Sex Love Show Why We Are Changing The World Every Day
- Kiss & Tell: Show Us Your Love Pics And Win A Trip To San Francisco
- PHOTOS: It’s All Leather And Fur For These Fashion Week Models
- We Love The Nightlife! Shake Your Groove Thing And Party Like A Rock Star in L.A.
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSPride pride haus Jeffrey James Keyes party haus Miami GayCities Washington DC San Francisco Fire Island New York Chicago London benefit haus Marriage Equality Las Vegas travel Theater New York City Los Angeles Photos
Kiss and Tell: Gay Couples Targeted for PDA
Jul 14, 2009
Just last week, two men were asked to leave a Chico’s Tacos in El Paso after the staff saw them kissing. Leave it to Texas’ finest to inform the gents that their kiss was, in fact, a crime, explaining that they could be cited for “homosexual conduct” under the very same law that in 2003–six years ago–the US Supreme Court deemed unconstitutional.
A few days later, Matt Aune and his partner Derek Jones were returning home from a concert, and took a shortcut through the plaza outside the Salt Lake City Mormon Temple. After a guard witnessed Aune giving Jones a hug and a kiss on the cheek, the lovebirds were detained, handcuffed and charged with misdemeanor trespassing. In the age of Milk and Bruno, it’s easy to forget that there are still parts of the country where same-sex couples–or even same-sex friends–fear retribution merely for showing affection. Salt Lake is a perfect example of this American schizophrenia, with a flourishing gay ‘hood not far from that bastion of homophobia, the Mormon Church. These couples were simply doing what comes naturally for couples. But what to them was a simple kiss, to the rest of the country was a wake up call about the continued indignities meted out to unsuspecting gays & lesbians.