- Seattle: Best American City for Gay Dads?
- Antarctica: Top 5 Tips For the Ultimate White Party
- Pride Season Is Not Over. Orlando Will Hold One Of The Most Important In LGBTQ History.
- Homos, FOMO and the Enduring Appeal of Paris
- PHOTOS: This Charming Texan Was Just Named America’s Top Bartender
- LGBT New Yorkers Celebrate Pride and Resilience At The Center’s Annual Garden Party
- PHOTOS: Instagram Users Respond To Orlando Tragedy In Beautiful And Creative Ways
- PHOTOS: Tributes From Around The World As Thousands Gather To Mourn Orlando Victims
- PHOTOS: Pride Takes Over Tel Aviv And It’s A Feast For The Eyes
- Meet Ben Ryan, The Nearly Naked AIDS Activist Who Can Dance
- PHOTOS: The Beautiful Boys and Gorgeous Gurls of Vallarta Pride
- PHOTOS: Long Beach Pride Marks The Beginning Of This Year’s Pride Season
- Seven Reasons Every Art Lover Must Visit The New San Francisco Modern Art Museum
- PHOTOS: This Year’s World Naked Gardening Day Was Absolutely Plantastic
- Madonna Lyrics Reimagined As Motivational Posters
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSChicago Fire Island party haus Las Vegas Los Angeles Washington DC London Marriage Equality Pride Theater San Francisco Jeffrey James Keyes travel Miami benefit haus Photos New York GayCities pride haus New York City
Kiss and Tell: Gay Couples Targeted for PDA
Jul 14, 2009
Just last week, two men were asked to leave a Chico’s Tacos in El Paso after the staff saw them kissing. Leave it to Texas’ finest to inform the gents that their kiss was, in fact, a crime, explaining that they could be cited for “homosexual conduct” under the very same law that in 2003–six years ago–the US Supreme Court deemed unconstitutional.
A few days later, Matt Aune and his partner Derek Jones were returning home from a concert, and took a shortcut through the plaza outside the Salt Lake City Mormon Temple. After a guard witnessed Aune giving Jones a hug and a kiss on the cheek, the lovebirds were detained, handcuffed and charged with misdemeanor trespassing. In the age of Milk and Bruno, it’s easy to forget that there are still parts of the country where same-sex couples–or even same-sex friends–fear retribution merely for showing affection. Salt Lake is a perfect example of this American schizophrenia, with a flourishing gay ‘hood not far from that bastion of homophobia, the Mormon Church. These couples were simply doing what comes naturally for couples. But what to them was a simple kiss, to the rest of the country was a wake up call about the continued indignities meted out to unsuspecting gays & lesbians.