- 5 Nightlife Gems You Can Only Find In Portland
- 5 Fascinating Facts About The Country’s Longest Continuously Running Drag Show
- A Black Queer Trans Portlander Reveals A Side Of The City You Won’t See On Portlandia
- Chug-A-Lug Gurl! Gay Beer Turns 25
- 11 Things To Do In San Francisco With Your GBFFs
- In Praise Of Tiny Gay Bars
- Your Favorite Cities And Travel Destinations?: The Winners Are…
- David Bowie Fans Gather For Massive Sing-Along In South London
- Six Classic Works Of Gay Literature Everyone Should Read In The New Year
- Smart & Sexy Locals Tell You Where To Hang Out In Madrid & Barcelona
- Some Like It Hot: The 12 Very Best Party Haus Galleries Of 2015
- Why San Francisco Is The World’s Gay Mecca
- Pedro’s Spain: 8 of Almodóvar’s Most Iconic Film Locations
- The Best Destinations And Gayborhoods Around The World? You Decide!
- 25 Amazing Photographs That’ll Make You Want To Visit Spain
Search the blog
POPULAR TAGSGayCities Las Vegas Photos Fire Island Washington DC travel New York City New York San Francisco Theater pride haus Pride Marriage Equality Chicago Miami party haus London benefit haus Los Angeles Jeffrey James Keyes
Kiss and Tell: Gay Couples Targeted for PDA
Jul 14, 2009
Just last week, two men were asked to leave a Chico’s Tacos in El Paso after the staff saw them kissing. Leave it to Texas’ finest to inform the gents that their kiss was, in fact, a crime, explaining that they could be cited for “homosexual conduct” under the very same law that in 2003–six years ago–the US Supreme Court deemed unconstitutional.
A few days later, Matt Aune and his partner Derek Jones were returning home from a concert, and took a shortcut through the plaza outside the Salt Lake City Mormon Temple. After a guard witnessed Aune giving Jones a hug and a kiss on the cheek, the lovebirds were detained, handcuffed and charged with misdemeanor trespassing. In the age of Milk and Bruno, it’s easy to forget that there are still parts of the country where same-sex couples–or even same-sex friends–fear retribution merely for showing affection. Salt Lake is a perfect example of this American schizophrenia, with a flourishing gay ‘hood not far from that bastion of homophobia, the Mormon Church. These couples were simply doing what comes naturally for couples. But what to them was a simple kiss, to the rest of the country was a wake up call about the continued indignities meted out to unsuspecting gays & lesbians.